View Poll Results: In what media should I style my sister's baby sling?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crochet baby sling.

4 50.00%
  • Knit baby sling.

1 12.50%
  • This is a bad idea...

3 37.50%

Thread: Baby Sling

Baby Sling

Okay, my sister is still not far-along enough yet to know what gender the baby is, and i was convinced i can not get into making baby stuff for her until i know... until now.

I just realized (just this second) that i could make a baby sling. It doesn't have to be girly or boyish... it just has to look good on my sister.

I was thinking one of those with a D-ring to adjust in the back...

But i've never been so up close to one to figure out what shape one would be if it was taken apart and laid out... or thought about if i wanted to crochet or knit it (i'm fluent in both)... or would i have to use cotton?

So i'm thinking about this and i'm wondering, has anyone ever seen anything about how to do something like this?

I'm giddy.

-Jera

2. # ADS

I think anything yarn based would be too lumpy and heavy for long term use. Plus, knitting and crocheting tends to stretch, and you don't want a stretchy sling. It could lead to baby droppage, which isn't a good thing.

I understand the stretchy thing and all, but i was also thinking "grocery tote." Grocery totes stretch, but in the way you want them to.

-Jera

If you don't want something to stretch, try crocheting with a strand of thread as well. You definitly want to use cotton if you try it because acrylic will make your sister and the baby way too hot. I've never actually seen a pattern for a crocheted sling, but I've seen patterns for sewn ones.

randomly thinking....
    try to buy the official sling rings for the sling. d rings from the hardware store won't cut it. they can slip through eachother, and if they aren't tested for weight, the sling could slip apart.

Sew one instead. Easier, I think. Straight stitches. Long rectangle. Lots of internet sources for tips and tricks! slingrings.com is a good place to buy rings.

i toyed with the idea of making one for my kids. but now they're so big it's kind of too late. and the over-the-shoulder almost made me cry every time i used it. the front-loader i tried for my 2nd wasn't comfortable - i'm short waisted so my newborn's legs were almost to my knees at the tightest adjustment, and she didn't like it so i had to support her bottom to keep her happy. kind of defeats the point, right?!?

i'm thinking if you use cotton, it is very likely to stretch. perhaps it wouldn't if you did a very tight single crochet stitch, though. or do some strategic single crochet topstitching on half-double crochet for extra sturdiness and a cool pattern. if you want it open and airy with a double crochet, i'd have to say that an acrylic would be best to prevent stretching - it would "stretch" in terms of adjusting to body shape but not eventually wind up stretching out so much that baby is hanging at mama's knees! or combining the two or finding a blend. i think it was red heart that came up with a cotton/acrylic blend recently. the blanket i made for my daughter has kept its shape well. but they're all in "baby" colors as far as i have seen. (don't know if your sister would be down with that. i wouldn't really if it was something i would wear. just like i don't want some pooh baby bag. it's OUR accessory, not theirs, right? )

and as for as adjustibility.... i'd say look at mountain climbing stuff dor some type of ring or funky setup they might have for ropes or straps. probably could come up with something really cool. (sorry about the rambling!)

You want something that can be washed MANY times (think pee, spit-up, food) A nice soft cotton(but not stretchy). Plastic rings are best, they really lock into each other, and don't get hot in the sun or dig into your body. I'd model it after the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder( you can check them at Little Smooches.com) They're really simply designed (that said I"ve never made one!) But my sister-in-law made one just like it for my daughter to carry her babydoll, so I know they can be made from scratch. (however that is to carry an inanimate babydoll-not a real child, but it's the same design) Good luck!

I've been using my Over the Shoulder Baby holder since my daughter was one week old and have just stopped now that she's 2. It's a godsend. I don't know why that previous poster said hers made her cry, but I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by lesalesa
    I've been using my Over the Shoulder Baby holder since my daughter was one week old and have just stopped now that she's 2. It's a godsend. I don't know why that previous poster said hers made her cry, but I love mine.
    i have one of those nice looking but possibly not ergonomically correct starck carriers that were at target a few years ago. perhaps it just doesn't distribute weight properly.... was painful with a week-old 7 lb. newborn. tried it out with 2nd baby who was probably about 11 pounds at the time to try to juggle her and her brother in the craft store and it felt like hot knives in the shoulder.

Hi JeraAndJune,

First try to find out if your sister is allergic to any material you''re going to use in your baby sling.

Then try to get her opinion about something she will wear. I know this may sound like ''ruining the surprise'', but you can ask her some few details that will lead you to her perfect gift.

When you have collected enough info, try to get some good patterns or styles for you to create your own. I suggest you this site:

http://www.babysling.com

and may be this other one:

http://www.motherandbaby.com.au/foru...623a0e4b3ed30c

Remove Ads

Ads