Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sewing for the sewing challenged

I love to make clothes, I just hate using patterns. So far I've made very simple apron tops, etc. My taste runs to the more "hippie" look anyway, so thats fine, but does anybody have any great stuff they make w/out patterns? And what about patchwork? Is it hard? Thanks!! Valerie

2. # ADS

I know nothing about patchwork, but I think you can just randomly sew pieces together and then use that like one whole piece of fabric. That would look so great!

I do lots of partchwork. I think it was hard at first, but "hard" is so subjective! What do you mean by hard? It is time-consuming for sure. It can be hard on your machine (or the needle at least) going over all the seams.

i am also sewing challenged. i had to make a pair of pants once and it came out as a tube with two crotches...

Sewing is like one big SAT question. You know that one where you have to pick which way the piece of paper will look after it has been folded ten times into some obscure origami-like shape?

I wish I could see pictures of everyone's sewing goofs. The biggest one I've heard (and the everyone seems to end up doing), is sewing toddler pants upside-down, since the leg-length and the rise can be about equal. They still kind of work. . . as flares with lots of rise or something.

I've only made a few things w/o the benefit of a pattern. If you look in my pictures, you'll find instructions for a simple sun dress that is basically made w/ 2 long rectangles.
    If you read a book on pattern drafting, you'll find that rectangles are exactly what you're starting out with. You make the shape of the garment with your body's measurements.....and your imagination.
    I'm working on a long, narrow skirt, and the pattern is rectangular, only a bit tapered at the hips, and will be further shaped at the waist via darts.
    Play around with some ideas and make a mock-up out of muslin to see what you end up with. sometimes you can really surprise yourself.
    Otherwise, following a basic pattern really isn't that hard. The instructions are there for a reason. If you do it often enough, you'll come to know what the basic order of assembly is, and will only need the instructions for the more complicated parts. Some where I have an article on what the basic assembly order is for tops, slacks, dresses, skirts, etc. I'll try to find it and post the info.

I took your comment about rectangles and a roll of butcher paper and just started making my own patterns. I think the thing about the patterns you get at the store is I have a hard time reading and understanding them, but Ii gues that will come with practice. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

I just like to buy really cheap kind of boring stuff and make it better. If someone asks where you got it you can still say you made it :P

ohmystars.net

cool craft section ^ ^ hope this helps

sewing without patterns kind of requires good spatial modeling abilities. it helps to be able to see things in three dimesions in your head, turn them, and flatten the shapes out. i can't imagine making patterns without that ability.

if your tastes are really hippie-ish, you can just make big caftans and tunics out of rectangles of fabric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads