Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I never thought my boyfriend was crafty until he decided to make a craps table at home. It was great fun. I think basing crafts on things people already like to do is important.

2. # ADS

Just remember that everyone is crafty in some way or another. Accountants are crafty with numbers, computer geeks are crafty with setting up or modding computers, musicians are artists with sound... just got to find their angle & prod around there.

My hubbie's a musician & wanna-be carpenter (he built an AWESOME desk for his recording studio complete with rack spaces for rack mounted equipment).

:)

OH, he works at a bookstore and they are having the obligatory midnight harry potter release party in a couple of weeks. he needs a wand. he wants me to make it because "well i want it to look GOOD."
    so craftyness out of necessity may be an introduction. Unfortunately i am not sure how to plan out this wand, to make it cool and original AND "well it has to look like they do in the book/movie" (i thought they looked like plain brown sticks, but maybe i wasn't looking closely...)

Very interest-specific, but my boyfriend fly fishes, and has just started tying his own flies. I got him a kit for his birthday, and tied a bunch myself (I don't fly fish, but I had some guy friends teach me), so he got all inspired and started tying. You use tons of different materials and patterns depending on what type of insect you're trying to emulate, so it actually is pretty darn crafty...

Quote Originally Posted by rissaroo
    OH, he works at a bookstore and they are having the obligatory midnight harry potter release party in a couple of weeks. he needs a wand. he wants me to make it because "well i want it to look GOOD."
    so craftyness out of necessity may be an introduction. Unfortunately i am not sure how to plan out this wand, to make it cool and original AND "well it has to look like they do in the book/movie" (i thought they looked like plain brown sticks, but maybe i wasn't looking closely...)
    What book store...Rissaro? I live in Rock Hill,SC. Have any of y'all ever tried gourd art? Lots of men do it. You name it...it can be done on the surface of a gourd...everything from painting to carving! If your wondering what gourd art is like...type gourd art into your search engine and see what it is all about.

Have a gourd day, ya'll!

Re: Boyfriend Craftiness

Cooking seems to be the best hope, but that is too temporary for him (all this WORK and its gone in like 20 minutes! wah!)
    why not try "less" temporary cooking, i.e., preserving? how about making a huge batch of tomato sauce using farmer's market/farmstand in-seaon tomatoes (this will make it seem like more of a project and will taste better, too) and canning and freezing it for the winter? or how about pickles? or my new favorite thing in the whole world--preserved lemons (and here)?

or baking bread. he can make a few loaves and freeze them for the future.

or making your own yogurt.

athena :-)

why would you decide that he needs to be crafty? Maybe if he decided that he needed to be crafty. But why would you want to make him into you? Every time I try that, I end up dissapointed in the results. Just let him be him.

ahhh, yes, but, he is bored and has basically said he feels uninspired. So i am looking for ideas to help him out, give him some "oomph" to get interested in something. he is also low on cash, and although not materialistic at all, feeling a bit lacking of the "good things." I feel it too, but then i make something that looks 10X cuter than whats in a store, and i feel better.
    so far, it seems, he hasn't really taken up anything on his own, but he is showing more of an interest in what i do. For instance, we have been cooking a lot more at home and that has been really great. i have a miniature herb garden outside the front door, which he initially dismissed as one of my "fad projects" (not his words but basically his sentiment) but lately he has asked me to come outside and show him which ones to pick for such-and-such.
    i wouldn't want him to take up "my" crafts, unless he reallllly wanted to, which is unlikely. He has this "failure" thing where he gets really discouraged when stuff doesn't come out "the way its supposed to." so i wouldn't want him comparing his stuff to mine anyway.
    he's extremely resourceful and improvisational, two qualities inherent in being crafty i think, i'm just trying to help him find a way to express that.
    Oh and i love all the ideas here. I think we may have to try the idea of homemade pasta sauce, we can't afford the really fancy jarred kind and ragu just ain't cutting it! Plus he loves pasta. Athena, do you have any suggestions for canning and preserving, since i don't know how!

The best canning recommendation I can make (from making jellies and jams) is to wash the jars in a dishwasher and leave it closed - then you won't have to reboil them and they'll be hot and ready to seal.

Of course if you don't have a dishwasher that won't help :(

Athena, do you have any suggestions for canning and preserving, since i don't know how!
    well, the only thing i have preserved is the preserved lemons (in the recipe i posted). (and i haven't tasted them yet.) so, i'm a newbie to canning and preserving, but it's something i've been thinking about.

i did a google search, and there are lots of sites with instructions and recipes:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...and+preserving

also, i want to get a book (that i think might have been mentioned here), called putting foods by (http://tinyurl.com/c97wg). this has been referred to as the canning and preserving bible.

athena :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads