Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boyfriend Craftiness

So, i loved the Get Crafty book, but it was a little to girly-oriented, because, without the gender references, could have been written for my boyfriend.

I have decided he needs to be crafty. Unfortunately, he had very discouraging experiences with an elementary school art teacher and so won't try anything. Plus crafting seems like so much WORK.

We have regular discussions about finding his inner craftiness. Cooking seems to be the best hope, but that is too temporary for him (all this WORK and its gone in like 20 minutes! wah!)

So, any ideas for a man craft? (and we live in an apartment so building things is kinda difficult. oh and he hates the smell of glue and getting his hands dirty. aaghhh!!!)

2. # ADS

i know you ruled cooking out, but making sushi is kind of crafty. me and my boyfriend do that sometimes. now this may also sound silly, but i know a number of guys who have actually taken up sewing. straight boys, too. punk-patch-wearing boys but still straight (and bi) none the less. maybe you could get him into painting furniture (i do that to kill time;based on my doodles), or something ive always wanted to do is making crazy lampshades. you could use like trim, photos, little things. maybe he could get into gardening? my mother calls that her art. maybe even a small kitchen herb garden. or something very easy, sketchbook collaging. like photos, magazine cutouts, ads, sketches, whatever he finds interesting. writing a zine would also be very crafty. i hope this gave you some ideas!

my husband has done a little dabbling with crafty stuff, but hadn't really gotten into anything until he started carving cedar. he was just whittling with a little knife, so i bought him a little carving set. he's really getting into it and i hope to see some cool stuff soon, considering he's been on a serious carving binge lately! i know it's not the best inside craft but it makes the house smell nice....

other than that, he does a lot of the basic repetitive stuff for me like stripping copper wires, spraypainting/priming/lacquering, and pretty much anything that requires the use of power tools. he even liked using that potholder loom.

perhaps there's some sort of thing you could do together... there are also kits you could check out at most craft stores. i've seen some really cool soapstone carving kits around so he could make some fetishes. or leatherwork? perhaps a mocassin kit?

my husband sews - I taught him how when "Can you sew this patch on my jacket" turned into "Here's another one" for the tenth time ;)

He also does collage (on the computer) and we didn't realize it until recently. He paints and draws.

Even though we haven't started on it - he has shown a little interest in helping me break up yard-sale dishes for my mosaic pieces. :) I'm trying to talk him into making his own thing out of them - but he just hasn't had any inspiration yet.

With the collage stuff I'm going to make an outside table and some flower pots for now...for some reason he doesn't see that he could make anything different. It's like in his mind, flower pots are all you can make from mosaics. I just have to find something he's interested in and connect it.

boyfriend craftiness

Stained glass is a genderless craft. He can make some beautiful clocks or window panels or lampshades. It sometimes draws blood so he might think that's very manly.

kek

My boyfriend really likes flipping through my ReadyMades. I think the combination of my enthusiasm for the projects and his own realization that he could actually make some of the stuff made him much more interested in crafting. Also, the magazines gave him a variety of ideas to choose from, rather than me telling him what I think he'd like. (Oh, and once I purchased a button-maker he was all over it!)

My boyfriend is the farthest you could get from crafty. But honestly, I would never really want a crafty boyfriend. From my (very limited) experience, creative people and I don't get along at all. I think the craftiest mine gets is *thinking* about modding his computer lol. And that was just a passing phase.

If you're looking for something small, how about little sculptures made of wire, used computer parts, and miscellaneous hardware (like nails, nuts and bolts)? It's macho because it's metal and uses sharp cutting tools. And maybe even hot solder. Ooooooh, the element of danger!

If he's not squeamish (my husband has a phobia of power tools, like circular saws, sewing machines and espresso makers), he might try something involving a Dremel. Small, but so powerful!

My boyfriend makes quilts. "Boy quilts," I call them, because they are very geometric and tend to feature non-traditional themes like bugs, skulls & roses, and other funky stuff. There are so many cool "novelty" fabrics out now... and it makes me smile to see him bent over the table, designing a new pattern and working out all the angles. Not something that I personally have much patience for!

wellllll.....so far the sushi idea was the only one he didn't immediately blow up about. see, he was kicked out of scenic design since he *can't* build or draw and costume design since he *can't* sew. (He is a lighting designer, nothing too hands on but lots of fixing things, which turns out to be the part he hates.) but, he needs to do something creative, and i'm not totally buying that video games are a creative outlet even though you play an original character. hmm? i'm sure there are plenty others who would disagree though. anyway, the dance company i work for has a new adult modern dance class and i agreed to show him some basics at home, so hopefully he will go...then get some creative juices flowing before i drag out the collage stuff - which seems like it will be the least threatening to his fragile sense of imminent failure - however, he hates the smell of glue...
    oh and the other project we have in the works - WOW (some video game thing) pillows made from iron on transfers from screen shots...(however, he keeps saying he can't find the files on his computer...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads