+ Reply to Thread

decoupage metal?

hey craftistas,

i want to decoupage an old filing cabinet and i need some advice for how to go about doing it.

over the weekend, i tested out using modge podge but it didn't work out so fantastically. the paper stuck, but the bubbles were hard to get out and it wasn't a very strong adhesion.

this is my first time using modge podge for anything, though, so maybe i'm expecting too much?

also, what do i use as a seal over the top of the paper when i'm finished?

2. # ADS

mod podge is great. i've recommended it over and over and i'll sing it from the rooftops! love it love it. use it all the time and it lasts for ages. just used up my first bottle that i've had for about 3 or 4 years and i used it A LOT.

i'd suggest staying with it and just putting more layers on. use care and put the paper on like you would a bumpersticker to avoid bubbles, and then quickly smooth another layer of MP over it. it takes a little trial and error, figuring out how much MP to put on the surface you're adhering to. and it's especially difficult to avoid bubbles with large pieces of paper. perhaps do more of a collage thing? or maybe try a glue stick to get a big piece"tacked on."

i'll often put MANY layers of mod podge on something. believe me, once you've got a few layers on there, the paper or whatever is there to stay. for a lot of things, such as paper mache or gift boxes that i have decoupaged, i will then spray a clear lacquer over it when it's finished. when you've got a bunch of MP and lacquer on it, it has a really nice, smooth and glassy finish.

did you put primer on or sand the metal to help stuff adhere to it? if not, that might help...

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    mod podge is great.
    Seconded!

thank you, thank you for the tips!

sarabell: forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say to put a lot of "layers" on it?

so, i've got my big piece of paper ... do i put one layer of MP then wait, put another, then another, and THEN stick it on my filing cabinet??

in terms of layers, i mean just slap one on top of another after it dries. if you're really worried about bubbling and you're using a big piece, i would say to "tack" it on with a glue stick first, that way you're less apt to have bubbles since it's a relatively dry adhesive, then lay on some MP to seal it. just make sure that you get some MP under the edges of the paper to to ensure a good seal. does that make more sense?

just a quick note to say that my filing cabinet is tres cute now thanks to your tips!

i'll try to get a photo of it to post today.

Ads