Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Motif

Favorite Motif

So I'm not sure where this actually belongs but I was wondering:
    What are your favorite motifs?I (for some weird reason) love the shapes of feathers and leaves on fabric,carved,painted...whatever.I also like strawberries and peaches kind of a la kitsch decor.
    My friend likes sculls when accompanied with harts.(?)

2. # ADS

I *heart* (giggle) the sacred heart motif on anything! I also like hearts with wings.

My fav in the eighties (duh) used to be paisley. Anything paisley!

I also like swedish folk art motifs. I have some awesome fabric from Ikea with motifs I want to use elsewhere: http://www.snapnpost.com/queen/photo...-523152698ce0/

My newest favorite motif and probably the one I have the most rubberstamps and gift items (including jewelry) is the kokopelli -- all different kinds! If I could find a fabric print like the swedish one above with cool kokopellis, i would be a happy chick! Of course, that is what I learned screenprinting for...i'm just lazy :)

Cool thread idea!

Mine would be birds, birds and trees... especially owls. I'm a sucker for just about anything with owls.

And flowers - especially poppies.

nifty thread!
    I'm so down with the heart w/ wings! LOVE that motif.....Also like flowers, esp. daisys drawn a bit crude-ly.

This is a good way to get ideas for embellishing tshirts!

Tiki / tropical
    Huge sucker for those '70s mushrooms - my last house's kitchen was full out '70 mushroom *everything*.

I like sun/moon/stars on just about anything. I also love polka dots. In the kitchen, I notice that I am acquiring quite a few eggplant things. Other than that, I choose things primarily because of the color - purple - and in general don't like prints or designs of any kind. I just like to admire and absorb the color and I don't want anything to distract from that.

Is anyone else so single-minded about a color? Or a motif? Anybody have a home full of sunflower designs, for example? It's like a game for me, and in a way helps me to curb spending. I won't buy it unless it's purple. Of course, when I do find things that are purple, I more than make up for any previous spending abstinence.

:o)

I really like '50s abstract "lounge" and "tiki" designs on fabric. I snap up loads of upholstery barkcloth with these designs whenever I can find them, which is unfortunately rarely.

And then I hoard the fabric and am afraid to make anything from it because I don't want to use it all up.

Fish designs have also been a recurring theme in my art, crafts and decorating for as long as I can remember. I have no idea why; I just like fish.

I really like anything Celtic - esp the knotwork. I am hoping to use the eltic know stencils I have to stencil our bedroom walls.

I also like ivy but my husband hates ivy for some reason.

Dawn - I'm also a big fan of celestial designs and purple too.

Oh, gosh, I like almost all of these. I also like to put an embroidered fez on a lot of my big projects because a fez = They Might Be Giants.

PamtheQueen, have you seen this German folk art fabric, which is a little similar to your Scandi fabric?
    http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...34104234863.bd

I have some of their prints and they are a lot of fun to work with.

karikazo, I *love* that fabric! It reminds me of folk dancers. I've been toying with the idea of doing a stack and whack quilt with a dancer motif, although something with a bit more motion and size. Think flamenco dancers whirling in a star.

A motif that runs through my work collectively is fans. I have fan jewelry, mostly from the '40's, and collect fans, but a have always tended to the scallop shell shape and the folds of a fan for doodling and creating. Then shells in general are a big motif for me.

For a more abstract motif, I like the Greek key design. It's sorta wavelike if you round it, but I use it anyway at all. There's a primitive feel to it, like the pre Hitler swastika without the cringe factor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads