How to get the perfect fray?

Hey all,

Ah! A new clothing season is upon us and everywhere I turn I'm seeing deconstructed denim--- perfectly good fabric being ripped to shreds and then being haphazardly patched-up with a mish-mash of floral calico.

In spite of myself and my tendencies toward neatness and order, I want a pair. I want a pair bad. I guess it's my inner hippie coming out. I just can't bring myself to shell out the 60-or-so dollars that they cost.

So I've decieded to make them. I've got a spankin' new pair of jeans comin' in the mail (on sale, of course) and I know how to add patches, but after that I'm kinda lost. I know you need a razor, but what kind? I know you need to wash the jeans, but on any particular setting? How do I get that perfect "snag"... like a run in a stocking? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm sure at least one of you crafty ladies would love to share her expertise! Thanks bunches!

2. # ADS

When I used to rip up my jeans in junior high (does that date me?), I used the side of a pair of scissors, and rubbed it back and forth at a 90 degree angle to the fabric to create a worn-looking hole. A metal file might also be handy, if you have access to one. By metal file, I mean the big kind that you use to file down metal. A metal nail file will probably do the same job, but a bit more slowly.

To keep the white, horizontal yarns intact but remove the blue, vertical ones, use a light touch with the file or scissors so that you don't break the white threads. Do a little less than you think you want, then put the jeans in the wash, which will take out some more of the fibers you loosened by rubbing.

A dremel tool will wear those areas down even faster, if you have one.

That's how they make those frayed areas on the hem, and along the pockets.

A dremel tool will wear those areas down even faster, if you have one.

That's how they make those frayed areas on the hem, and along the pockets.

When I used to fray my jeans in high school, I used a file and/or a pair of scissors (as described by rratstarr above). I did it while wearing them, in order to be sure to get spots that would look "naturally" worn. I hate the look of jeans that are obviously pre-frayed in the factory, and you can tell that they were pre-frayed because the wear doesn't show on spots that would naturally be worn.

It was probably pretty dangerous to do that though.

You can also distress jeans with sandpaper - if you rub horizontally only the vertical threads will be distroyed, leaving the horizontal threads intact and that "worn-through" natural look. :)

del

Yep, I used to fray my jeans with an emory board, but they were usually already worn in the places I wanted to fray.

I agree with delqc, sandpaper should do the trick but I'd use a very light grit one, otherwise you'll just tear a hole, not make a fray.

Wow. Thanks guys! That's awesome! I would have never thought of the horizontal vs. vertical stuff.

Remove Ads

Ads