simple baby sweater pattern?

It seems like everyone I know is pregnant! Very exciting. After tacking dpns and cables and mittens I feel ready to attempt a small sweater for at least one of them. Does anyone have a favorite baby (0-6 mos) sweater pattern that is fairly simple? I'm glad to be pointed to a book or what have you-- I am trying to avoid intarsia or really complicated stitch patterns, but a little bit of flair is fine-- i.e. cables, ribs etc.

2. # ADS

The Debbie Bliss books for babies are pretty simple. There is one called Baby Knits for Beginners that has a sweater with almost no neck shaping--it's kind of a boatneck, but with a big ole baby noggin it doesn't hang off the shoulders or anything.

You can substitute yarn too if you can't find her brand. It's a little pricey but it's nice, and at that wee size you shouldn't need a whole lot of it.

yay! thanks for the suggestion-- i will check that out right away.

Knitty has a list of Kidswear patterns in the archives (I particularly like Trellis, ChildHood, Daisy, and Duo).

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Without Tears has the formula for the Tomten Jacket, which is a breeze to knit and looks adorable. I did a version with a cable going up the sides of the opening and hood and the mother reports that people are always asking her where they can get one like it.

Haiku from Knitty is a great baby sweater pattern, really quick to knit and, because of the way it is written, really easy to alter to fit any size baby you'd want. just go to the yarn craft council's yarn standards for standard baby measurements, and there you go. there's a similar pattern to that in weekend knits with more neck shaping and whatnot, but as i haven't tried it i can't say if i like it.

i also second the debbie bliss baby knits for begginers (though some of the sweaters seem a little past begginer to me)... i have plans to knit about half of that book for the little belly monster that i'm currently cultivating.

and finally, as i am currently steeped in baby sweaters, i am about to knit Dumpling from rowan babies and it looks like the cutest damn thing ever. i just have a weekness for baby sweaters that look like librarians or old men might wear them. too cute!

thanks for all the great suggestions-- that dumpling does look totally adoreable (oh, and the sweater too. tee hee)

i know that ponchos are so out that they're almost back in again, but my mom made a hooded one for my daughter and it's great. she's had it since before christmas (when she was 7 months old) and was able to wear it then and still has a lot of room for her to grow into it (she's currently in 18-24 month sizes.) i think it's a great idea - the kid will be able to wear it for a long time, which makes the effort worth it since they grow so fast. plus it doubles as a snugglie blankie. the sweater my mom made for my son was only worn a couple times since it was in a newborn size and i felt so bad about it, knowing how much work it entailed. so if you plan on doing some major labor-intensive sweater, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it sized for a 6-12 month old so the fruits of your labor will be enjoyed more than just a couple times. i'm sure whatever you do will be absolutely beautiful like everything else you make!

(must be something in that SF water - my old friend that lives there is expecting, too. who knows - maybe you're making the sweater for her!)

Remove Ads

Ads