Sewing machine question

Beginner sewer here...

Every so often the bobbin thread comes up covered with black oily gunk. What would cause this, and how can I correct it? I went through the troubleshooting info in my manual but can't find anything on this problem.

Thanks!

2. # ADS

LRS
    Does this seem to be a random thing?

If it happens when you start to sew, after the machine has been idle a day or two, it may be this: the machine has been oiled too much and maybe with something other than real sewing machine oil. The excess runs down and piles up someplace in the path of the bobbin thread. When you start up, the bobbin thread "cleans" the gunk out of its way.

If this is a possibility, you need to take apart everything you can get at in your machine and clean off all the oil and gunk you can find. Use non-linty cloth, maybe supplemented by soft wood pieces - like old fashioned Q-tips with the cotton removed. Then oil the machine with sewing machine oil. Sew with no thread on paper towel to get rid of excess. Let is sit for a few hours and sew again on a paper towel, this time with some thread you'll never use again.

When you're not using the machine, leave a scrap of fabric under the presser foot. Watch and see if anything runs down to it.

If you can't solve it, maybe you can figure out when it happens. When it's due, sew on a paper towel until it's gone.

Good luck!

LRS

I had this problem, too. You probably also have trouble with broken bobbin thread. I found that the bobbin holder has a tension adjustment--- a small screw on the device that holds bobbin in place. Once I corrected that, I didn't have the oil on my bobbin thread anymore. Now, I have a problem when I reverse the direction with too much bobbin is released and loops of thread. So, could be that I gave my bobbin too much freedom and still need to adjust that tension back a bit.

Smart devices have hugely changed our lives, especially comfort. If about 20 years ago we could only switch on the TV with a remote control, now we can manage practically all devices. I am from https://worldcams.tv/netherlands/amsterdam/dam-square, and I am going to implement smart home technology in my apartment. It simplifies my life a lot and minimizes many processes.
    Last edited by mulikotr; 12-25-2020 at 04:39 PM.

I have had that oil problem too, i just sent it back to the store.

Remove Ads

Ads