Thread: vintage sheets

vintage sheets

so, i am moving into a new house. and i have this idea for a matching set of furniture-- i want to cover my futon with a fitted sheet. and then make a cushion of a wooden chair, small throw pillows and large floor pillows out of the other sheet and pillow cases. so, i'm on this quest for the perfect set of sheets. i want something vintage looking-- i keep picturing that 50's boomerang design. put i've looked online, at tjmaxx and marshals, target, etc. and i can't find any amazing sheets. any thoughts on where i should be looking?

2. # ADS

Where to find AMAZING sheets!

Recently I've been finding all sortsof fabulous vintage sheets at the Goodwill, many of them in matching sets. Last week I found sixties-looking floral sheets and another set that had lime green and yellow stripes! I seriously suggest that you look there first.

Having lived back in the '50's, we didn't have many printed sheets back then. You probably will not find vintage sheeting with boomerangs or any*atomic* motif of the sort that were popular then in formica and dinnerware. (really. you had a choice of either white or white in sheets. Prints started in the 60's and a wider choice of colors and patterns in the 70's.

If you broaden your search for other materials with that motif, you'll have more luck.

This might seem like a simple one, but how does someone go about covering furniture with a second-hand sheet set or other type of fabric? I am also contemplating such a project, hoping to salvage a nasty old couch by covering it with a shiny brocade curtain. It looks just beautiful in my head, although I don't know how to do it. Tips?

The easiest way is just a 'furniture throw' where you drape it over the piece, making the foot at the front and sides fairly even. Touching the floor? Puddling just a little? Then you tuck, tuck, tuck in every crevice to make it come out looking more fitted. Where a bunch of fabric slips down behind a seat cushion, you can shove an old rolled up magazine to keep it from coming out all that often. Throws like this generally have to be neatened up every day. If you don't, it will start to look like you just haven't finished the laundry yet.

A twin sheet is not going to cover much. Maybe a straight back dining chair. A king sheet would only cover part of the average sofa.

If you want to reupholster that's an entirely different story, and requires at least 10 yards for a sofa.

Garage sales are a good place! Sometimes, you really have to look around, jump from one garage sale to another one. Plus, garage sales are fun, and you never know what you'll find. Try looking in older neighborhoods. Most young people who do garage sales just have baby clothes and toys.

I went this past Saturday, and scored 3 vintage Sears and Roebuck sheets for $5. I still need to work on my bargaining skills ;) I want to say they are around the 70's era? One has light lime green, yellow, and brown stripes. Another has this blue and green wavy type pattern, and the other is just a striped sheet with white background.

Another resource, as mentioned earlier, is Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, and any thrift store. I got some retro pillow cases and retro cloth napkins from Savers, and have made 2 skirts out of them!

I've done something similar with my thrift store furniture...I totally agree to all the info listed previously. Hope this helps:
    1. Have you looked at http://www.reprodepot.com ? I know most of the fabric there won't be wide enough, but, maybe you could use some of it for accent pillows.
    2. I've found a ton of neat, "so ugly it's cool" vintage fabric on ebay. Don't forget to look for old curtains...there's lots of usable fabric there!
    3. If you're going to be covering furniture, you might look into finding cotton sheeting by the yard. The widths are huge, so you won't have to seam any widths of fabric together (I do this for duvet covers too). However, cotton sheeting is usually pretty bland.
    4. How about using a "plain" sheet and doctoring it up yourself? I've sometime used pictures or images and photo transferred them onto fabric, or you could paint them on (make your own boomerang stencil).

Good luck...let me know what you decide to do,
    Lulu

Remove Ads

Ads