Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    msfish, I too work by Lee's. Yesterday I went in before work (I was already running late) just to buy an envelope.

I walked out with a $40 paper shape cutter.

I love going in there before work or during lunch for a little escape. It transports me to a happier place in my mind where I can just make cool stuff...!

2. # ADS

This past weekend I walked past a craft store on 5th Ave (I think it was north of union...). It looked terribly small though...

I don't know if you're still looking, but there are a couple of places you could try. P & S Fabric on B'way bet. Leonard and Franklin just a few blocks off Canal St. has great sewing, knitting, crocheting supplies. There are a couple of other cheap fabric and notions stores nearby. For the really gorgeous stuff you have to go to the garment district in Midtown Manhattan. And stuff tends to be more expensive there just because the quality is superb (this is where designers get their materials). I would also try ethnic shops, where you can get really unique stuff. There's a Ukranian shop next to McSorley's Ale House on E 7th St. that sells beautiful ribbons, and day after a day in Jackson Heights you can come back with unique fabrics and notions from India, Colombia, and other counties. There are a couple of yarn shops in Brooklyn as well (this site has a good listing).

i love the city quilter on 25th between 6th/7th, closer to 7th, north side of street. obviously it's quilting-specific, but there's great fabric, mettler thread, quality scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, mats, tons of books (i walked out with "stupid sock creatures" the other night, and love it already). thimbles, embroidery thread, etc. i also like lee's, and i love pearl paint. then there's a little place that bills itself as an art store on 7th betw. 29th/30th, east side of avenue. but it has a ton of yarn and various craft supplies too. there used to be a hipster yarn/knitting store on bedford ave. around s. 4th or so, but i don't know if it's still there.

I found a craft store in Fulton Mall. It's not terrific, but they have sewing machines and parts, some fabric and vinyl, yarn, baskets, and basic crafty stuff. There was also a fabric shop across the street.

It was on Bridge Street and Fulton Mall, sort of across the street from Macy's. I also noticed that the 2/3 Hoyt station is there.

there's a lady jane's out in ozone park. you pretty much have to take the a train far far away and (to rockaway blvd. not to be confused with rockaway ave or beach, which i've done) and then there's a 20 or so minute walk, but it's big and has a ton of stuff.

I used to work near Lee's on 57th also. There's also Kate's Paperie on 57th between 6th and 7th. There's something else in the area but it slips my mind. I live in NJ so I make most of my craft treks here. That way I can hit Pearl Paint, Micheals, Treasure Island, Rag Shop, usually all within a few miles of each other. If you have someone who drives it can be worth it.

I''ve got a solution

I am in the beginning phases on opening my own craft store in Brooklyn. Frustrated by the same lack of a good source for an array of craft supplies, and because I really hate going into Manhattan if I don''t have to, I am looking to open something up in perhaps the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area, or maybe out around Park Slope (but that may be too expensive). Stay tuned, and I''m open to your suggestions too, so don''t be shy.

Re: I''''ve got a solution

Quote Originally Posted by HandMaidenNY
    I am in the beginning phases on opening my own craft store in Brooklyn. Frustrated by the same lack of a good source for an array of craft supplies, and because I really hate going into Manhattan if I don''''t have to, I am looking to open something up in perhaps the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area, or maybe out around Park Slope (but that may be too expensive). Stay tuned, and I''''m open to your suggestions too, so don''''t be shy.
    You should try Carroll Gardens. It''s cheaper than Park Slope but pretty easily accessible to both the W''burg crowd and PS.

I second Carroll Gardens (b/c it's near my hood!), but also want to suggest Columbia Street Waterfront. Talk about a blossoming community! Very, very cool place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads