Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

craft stores in brooklyn

I've been living in brooklyn for almost a month now and I really miss the accessibility I had in the past to Michael's (when I lived on Long Island). Are there any good craft stores in brooklyn? My heart skipped a beat when I noticed a store with "Crafts" in the title a couple of blocks away from my apartment, but up close all the store sold was wedding/baby shower decorations and cake toppers. How deceiving! I live in the park slope area, but I am willing to venture to other parts of brooklyn, too.

Thanks,
    Danielle

2. # ADS

i feel your pain!!! i live in brooklyn too (bushwick to be exact) and this weekend i'm biting the bullet and going all the way out to queens to the michael's there. it's accessible by subway, it's at the northern blvd. stop on the R and V lines. there are seriously no craft stores in the city; and then just to spite me, there are 2 michael's on staten island.

good luck,
    sam

So start one.

Pearl Paint has a craft store (behind their main store on Canal St). Not big but they carry most of what people would need. I find the quality to be ok...if I want something really unique then I go elsewhere to the specialty stores.

i agree with pucca. and if you come to the city you'll find other stuff tucked away. try the fashion district west of midtown for fabric, buttons, trimmings, etc. there are also weird little stationary stores, like one on 47th between 5th and madison, that have cool papers.

and while you're in chinatown at pearl paint you can definitely find fun crafty things to play with on every street. especially places like pearl river mart on broadway.

i have lived here for a few years now, and have never had a problem finding art or crafty supplies.

I think the difficulty of nyc is that *everything* is available. You just need to figure out where to get it. Lots of times this means going to specialty stores that carry one type of item (like buttons). In the suburbs, things are brought together in one place (like a Michaels) but you won't be able to find the more unique/fun items.

As erinina said, go the specific districts (fashion, fabric, notions, flower, leather, plastic, etc etc etc) and you'll be certain to find what you need and more.

There is a craft store in Boro Park, 60th and 12th Avenue I believe, in the Pathmark shopping center. It's called Rag Shop and they have a lot of stuff for your crafting needs and fabric too. It's not as big as a Michaels but it will certainly do for Brooklyn!

If you happen to be in Manhattan, swing by Lee's Art Supply on West 57th. They have enough to quench a suburban-crafts-store fix while in the city!

i saw a place in williamsburg yesterday, but it wasn't open so i can't formally report. however i live only a couple blocks from it so i'll definitely try to check it out and let you all know.

it was on north 8th and roebling, on the northside of the street. anyone know what i'm talking about?

i second that, sharopooks! lee's is within spitting distance of my office, so it's become base camp for lunchtime craft-supply-buying expeditions. their sewing stuff leaves much to be desired (i only buy felt there), but their paper and paint are amazing, and they have weird, great sales on things like buckets of buttons and cookie cutters.

if you brooklyn girls are feeling sleuthy, you could chat up the vendors at "artists and fleas" (a williamsburg weekend fair on, i think, north 6th near bedford) and find out where they buy their stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads