+ Reply to Thread

reusing old postcards?

i've got a bunch of old postcards with pretty pictures on the front, but I don't really know what to do with them. Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep from junking them? (and by a bunch, i mean at least 60 or so)

Thanks!! -lily

2. # ADS

Do you want to keep them for the messages or the sentiment? If so, then you'll want them intact. They can fit in some photo albums or photo flipbooks.

Or you could cut them up for collage. They can be cut into circles and then glued or stapled into a ball shape, like you did with christmas cards as a kid.

My sister gave me this neat cube some years back. It was made with (I think) eight small cubes. An art image was glued onto one face of the cubed cubes, and the image razored between the cubes in such a way that you could fold the cubes into another configuration. Then another image glued and razored, refolded, and another, etc. So you could present another image intact with each config. It was a neat idea, but takes some serious planning if you don't have a diagram. (I don't.)

postcards

if you want to keep them together, you could decorate the side of a bookshelf (or the inside) or maybe even do a small wall in a bathroom or something. i once had a border of food related postcards over my kitchen cabinets.

what about just framing them? with mats to make them look nicer. then arranging them together. I think it would make a nice display in a bedroom or bath & also save the postcards if you ever wanted to use them for a craft project later.
    Or cover a serving tray with them - what a stylish way to serve cocktails! Or even largish coasters - sandwich between glass to preserve the postcard.

I have an old smallish door (about 2 x 3 feet) on which old postcards have been decoupaged--but not the picture side, the handwriting side. I put it on my mantle above the fireplace. It's so cool.

I love old postcards--especially the handwriting side. Whenever I am in a junk shop I always check for old postcards. The oldest one I have is from 1908. I love the foreign stamps and I especially love how beautiful the handwriting was back in the day. I have always found the script to be far prettier than whatever image is on the front.

I have used lots in collages. I have sewn some into note cards.

I once bought a very old book and in it was a postcard from 1913, it was somehow comforting to know that people in 1913 probably used postcards as a book mark too :)
    that being said you could find 60 random books and put them in there for someone else to find :)

or you could use them as bookmarks, or make them into origami boxes. I used to do this with greeting cards, it works better with those b/c they're bigger and the back of the card makes the bottom of the box.

If they're not written on, you could make them into some sort of weird treasure hunt book search at the library (I'm already beginning to think my librarian friends and the ssol here will hate me) but you could write on one post card and if the person finds it give a link to the next book through hints, or using the dewey decimal system and see if someone finds it, give an email addy at the last one to have them email you...although if your librarian doesn't like this, then you might get a nasty email...so best to do it to an anon account :-P

jt

wow thanks! that 8-sided cube thing sounds really cool, i'm sure there's a diagram online somewhere, i think i've seen something like what you're talking about before, lizzy.

and the treasure hunt thing sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! i think there was something like that in a book i read once--as in, it happened in the book, there wasn't a card in it. and i never thought about using the handwriting side....i'm so inspired, and i probably have enough postcards to do everything. YAY!!!! thanks everyone!

mail 'em!

The library ideas seem fun! I like those, too!
    What about just sending them to people? On www.postcardx.net, you can get addresses of people who'd like to get postcards or letters & stuff. You can search for people with your same interests, & get some new penpals!

Are the graphics worth saving? If so, you could scan them and save them on a CD so they can be reused. That way if something doesn't turn out just right it's no big deal. I used to be so stingy with really good images that I never used them. Now I have my own image library. just be careful with copyright stuff

eta- bonus: they can be resized! yahoo!

Ads