Left over candle wax

Hello my fellow craft fiends,
    I've never posted before so I should start off by introducing myself, I'm Kelli and I am a craft addict that doesn't like to waste anything.I don't make candles but I burn them alot and never throw away the left over wax. I was just putting the chunks in through see through glasses and vases for decoration but today I hit on a good idea (I think). I took a small mason jar and poured melted wax in it then stuck marbles in the wax after it started hardening.You kinda have to keep them close to the sides if youre using a really dark color. Then when that dried I started over with a different color etc. I know this is like melt and pour soap,except useless, but it looks so pretty. I don't know if melting wax in the microwave is exactly safe and it takes alot of heat to melt it. but all I've suffered so far has been two burnt fingers. (forgot the potholder)

Anyways nice to meet you all

kelli [/i]

2. # ADS

You're right, it's not exactly safe to melt wax in the microwave. But I do it a lot myself.

You can chunk those old candles and fill them up in a candle mold with a wick, then pour uncolored paraffin over to make a candle with blocks of color.

Even with a mold, the marbles could look cool ringing the base. You'd probably need to fix them in place in a thinnish layer of wax, then harden it before your next lukewarm melted wax pour.

Don't have molds? Use a pringles can or a rectangular milk carton.

the thing about wax is that it doesn't just get too hot and turn black or something, it gets to a certain temperature and bursts into flames.

this is a quote from a candle-making supply site:

Most paraffin waxes have a flash point around 395 F. When it reaches its flash point it may not smoke or bubble, it will usually just explode, splattering flaming wax in all directions. To avoid this catastrophe, always use the double boiling method to melt your wax. Water boils at 212 F, which is well below the flash point of any paraffin wax.

When melting candles in the microwave, you HAVE to take the metal disk (that holds the wick) out of the bottom first. I busted a glass bowl and blew a fuse by forgetting that little detail.

I have melted candlewax and old crayons by putting them into food tins and putting the tins into a pot of boiling water. Works just as well as a double boiler. Just have to make sure there isn't too much water in the pot so that the tins don't tip over. And you can do a load of colors all at once.

As soon as I told my mother about doing this she told me to get her double boiler and told me to quit messing with the microwave. haha.

i always take metal things out of the microwave, i put a fork in a bowl one time and put it in the microwave without thinking. it broke the microwave.
    arbys wrappers catch on fire too. i'm glad you said something about the glass bursting thats really scary, that didn't even cross my mind.

I'm going to hit my sons stash of crayons for all the little pieces, next.

thanks for all the help girls

kelli

what, broken glass is scary but flaming wax flying all over the place is cool?

Remove Ads

Ads