looking for this pattern

this pic from the movie Bewitched....check it out..I want to make that hat, but I have a HUGE head, and know that no matter what I'll have to change a pattern. So I wonder, how hard could it be to MAKE a pattern....does anyone have any idea or know of a free pattern that is similar?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/03745...th_key=0374536

2. # ADS

Looks like a pretty plain, straighforward hat pattern. You should be able to find something just like it (or very close) in any fabric store.

The pattern will have the finished measurement listed on it, so if you need to make the hat bigger, you can just just to slash the pattern pieces down the middle and make them a little bit wider. Be sure to measure your head and the pattern first and do the math - you probably won't need to alter it very much.

thanks! I think you're right...but I was hoping to find something on-line...as in FREE!

:)

hat pattern

Its really quite easy to make a hat pattern.

1. Get some brown butcher paper or other thick paper and cut out the pieces. (HINT: for the hat you pictures, the top will be a circle, the brim will be a skinny rectangle, and the band (the vertical part of the hat ) will be a rectangle with angled ends). Just make the band as long as your head is wide and you can eyeball the rest.

2. Carefully tape the pieces together with scotch tape or masking tape. Play around with it until it looks the way you want. You may need to go back to the drawing board and make pieces bigger, smaller, shorter, fatter etc.

3. Once you get it the way you want cut the pieces apart again by cutting through the tape

4. Trace the pieces onto your fabric and facing fabric adding 1/2" or so for seam allowance. You may want to also use some thin cotton batting to give the hat some additional thickness.

5. Sew it all together! Once again.. you may have to do some trial and error to get it right.... just remember to keep your seam ripper handy.

*you'll want either millinery buckram or a heavy interfacing for shaping the brim.
    *the top piece is going to be an oval, slightly longer than it is wide.
    *the sides can go one of two ways: to stay very simple, you can cut one long rectangle, or to get a better fit, curve the top and bottom, with the top edge being slightly shorter than the bottom. sew ends together - then sew to top oval.
    *the brim will be a curved piece, sort of smile-shaped. cut 2 of fabric, one of buckram/interfacing. sew ouside edges together, sew ends together, turn right side out. attach to bottom of side portion.

I found McCall's 3044 and 2782 for .10 each at a thrift store. Scour the patterns there and see what you find.

Remove Ads

Ads