+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

fancy vintage clip-on earrings - what to do with them?

i have a bunch of old really nifty clip-on earrings passed on to me by my great aunts. a lot of them are heavily bejeweled and there are very few that i would ever wear. any ideas for some sort of decorative item i can make with them?

2. # ADS

i dont know if theyre big enough to make into pins, but you could glue a pin back ontothe earings if the clip on thing wouldnt get in the way.

hope you find something to do with them, itd be a shame to waste.

I got a box of old costume jewelry from my grandmother last year and had a blast playing with it, so lucky you!

I made pins from several unmatched earrings. I used wire snips to cut off the clip, then epoxied on a pin back. I am wearing a tiny cameo pin made just this way on my jacket today, in fact.

I also converted a couple of smaller pairs to post by the same method--snipped off the clip, epoxied on a post. As long as they aren't too heavy, this works pretty well.

One pair was made of little clusters of flowers (sort of like a rhinestone hydrangea). One earring was in good shape, so I made that into a pin, then cut off two flowers from the more damaged one and made earrings out of them. A terribly cute set.

A friend of mine wears vintage clip earrings on a velvet ribbon as a choker. Very sexy Victorian, which, by the way, British Vogue tells me will be very "in" this winter...

've toyed with the idea of making pins with them, but i also have a huge box full of brooches, many of which match the earrings! (some of them are pretty crazy - had some pretty nutty great aunts that didn't have kids so they had jewelry!) and i really don't wear any of those very often either. i'm generally pretty low-key and simple with the jewelry. just big silver stuff. especially since i'm nearly always holding a small child with grabby hands and it hurts to have a big metal and stone thing squeezed between two bodies!

maybe i'll do some picture frames. or a lampshade. or something....

Back in the 1930's, 40's, and 50's, women didn't usually have a lot of shoes. They might have three basic pair, and at least one would be nice pumps. something I never wear... Anyhow, they used 'shoe clips' to dress them up for different outfits or for evening wear. I'd bet some of those clipons could be used that way.

The clips would go above the toes in a pump, but you could probably clip them through laces on athletic shoes or at the tops of boots. Maybe on the buckle of some shoes.

Singles or ones that you really love can be clipped onto neck chains as a pendant, or wired to hair clips.

How about making kanzashi (geisha hair jewelry) with the clips in the middle of the fabric floral?

Two or more could look good clipped at the shoulder of an evening wear dress or top. Especially if the material is light enough to gather for a wider neck or off the shoulder. Of course assymetrical is always eyecatching.

Which reminds me that I used to have a little boudoir lamp with a very pretty patchwork shade, on which I pinned rhinestone brooches. You could clip earrings all around the top.

lizzymahoney--a friend of mine wore a really simple dress with a draped neckline to a wedding this summer and used a cool brooch to pin the neck asymetrically (or however you'd put that). It looked fantastic.

Lizzymahoney is right on the money..I've used my mom's old clip-ons as shoe clips and they work great!

To avoid the starting of a new thread I'll just post my question about vintage clip-on earrings here. I have a lot from my grandma too but i actually WANT to wear them as earrings (but normal ones). Do I need to take them to a jeweler to convert them? They're all metal backing so i would assume you need to sort-of weld an earring stick thing on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by leah8leah
    To avoid the starting of a new thread I'll just post my question about vintage clip-on earrings here. I have a lot from my grandma too but i actually WANT to wear them as earrings (but normal ones). Do I need to take them to a jeweler to convert them? They're all metal backing so i would assume you need to sort-of weld an earring stick thing on the back?
    they have earring posts attached to a metal disk so if the old clip-on is flat enough, you can just glue (or solder) them on. or perhaps find a place (or drill a hole) to insert a jump ring to put them on wires. i don't know about your clip ons, but most of mine are really big and heavy with all the fancy jewels and i don't know how well they'd stay on with posts.

modesto, ca -- soon to be PORTLAND, OREGON! yay!
    I got a similar inheritance and have begun using the earrings to decorate bobby pins.

First pin back the hair, then carefully pass the earring clip through the loop end of the bobby pin. Very posh.

The bigger ones would probably be too heavy though, I suppose.

Ads