+ Reply to Thread

Simple Book Binding for a homemade planner

Okay,

For the past few years I've been just printing out calendars from Microsoft Outlook and using them but lately they're just a hassle, so I decided to go buy a planner.

The one I was interested was cheap and simple but it was little and just not crafty enough. So like any crafty lady would do I thought, "I could just make my own."

My question is how do you do simple book binding? Nothing fancy. I can't just fold the pages and put them inside each other because then the months would be a screwed up so I had to fold each page in half and then connect them some how.

I have these grand ideas in my head and how I'm going to make this funky felt cover to go over but I don't know how to connect all the pages together.

Any advice?

2. # ADS

"I can't just fold the pages and put them inside each other because then the months would be screwed up "

to make the months in the right order, fold some blank pages inside each other (about five pages or so each...you'll have several sections) then cut & paste the calanders onto the folded blank pages so that they are in order. then unfold the pages, go to the copy store and make copies of the pages as they are. then you should be able to take the stack of fresh copies, fold it all in half, and have an orderly book.

after doing that, this is what i do (it's in no way professional. i kind of made it up based loosely on how i knew books were put together):

machine-sew each section down the crease (a few inches in the very middle. use a long stitch so the paper doesn't weaken with so many little holes)

when all the sections are sewn, put them together to make a book. use a hammer and drive a very small nail or a very big needle through the pages at the folded edge. make about five holes in a row down the edge. after this i usually put the sections together in a press of some sort to make all the creases really flat and everything.

then, take a needle and thread, poke it through the holes, and sew the sections together tightly, thus "binding" the book.

after that, you can put some hot glue on the binding to make it more sturdy.

as far as putting the pages inside a cover goes, if you get an old hardcover book and take it apart, you can see kind of how it all goes together. i'm sure that would be much easier to understand than what i would try to explain on here.

good luck! and i hope this makes sense.

Re copy shops--one particularly poor year I made little chapbooks of stories as Xmas presents for friends. I agree about making the pages as you like them, then arranging them so backs and fronts match up once they're folded. I made the copies, got the covers printed on card stock, and then assembled the books on Kinko's giant staplers. Pretty good fun, too, as that was when they were open 24 hrs a day and I was collating and stapling at 2am.

I made a planner once with essentially the same concept--I made the pages the way I liked (one week on two pages), then had it ring-bound at Kinko's. It was insanely cheap, too.

Thanks everyone, it's been a great help. Now I'm off to make my planner!

Ads