Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Condo

Cat Condo

I have built a cat condo.

I originally made it 6' 5" with 2 shelves- but the cats would not jump to the second shelf- so I cut it down to about 5'5" and moved the larger shelf down. I still need to finish the edges of the wood and paint the base, but my cats have been sleeping on it all weekend.

I tried to limit the amount of carpet I used on it because I'm afraid that it will collect too much hair. Also- I want them to get used to scratching harder surfaces- like the sisal rope or the wood- not my carpets or furniture.

2. # ADS

That's really great! And the cats look very satisfied too.

My brother made one of those once with construction scraps he had collected. It is a good way to reuse odds and ends from remodeling or whatever.

Your cats are lucky!

Thanks!

I actually used the scraps from my stepfather's project. He made a larger, more complicated cat condo for my mom's cats.

This was my first time using power tools. Once you get past all of the noise- its really so easy. I was very impressed with myself.

that's awesome! i would love a cat condo, and i keep thinking i should make one, but it seems like so much work. yours is great!

I've always wanted to build a cat tree! You did a fantastic job, Insistal!!! Have you ever seen the sculpted cat trees? What do you think it would take to build a sculpted one like this:
    http://www.catsplay.com/mushroom.php3

and look how much they cost!

You'd have to have intermediate carpentry skills, IMO.

I'd start with the main column on a flat carpeting covered board. Has to be braced. Hardware cloth and heavy duty staple gun will build the shape of tree furrows. Then wrap with carpeting, stapling in place.

Then build your shelves: cut them out with a jigsaw and then brace. Top piece has to be braced on probably four sides.

Hardware cloth over batting of some kind for the foliage shelves or mushroom cap. Use a heavy duty staple gun. It might not need batting, but I would probably use some. Could even be rolled lengths of newspaper, as long as it supports the arch of the hardware cloth.

It's not impractical to do, but is time consuming. Those prices look pretty reasonable. If it is the first time you are working on something like this, it could cost you more, probably will. Do you have the lumber and hardware cloth, do you have the spare carpeting? How about the table saw, jigsaw, miter box and saw, staple gun with staples, drill and wood screws?

Those prices are actually a lot lower than the cat trees that I have seen in stores like PetSmart.

It's definitely time consuming- but not really that difficult. Also, you can modify the design to suit what you can actually do. Also, I only used a jigsaw, a handsaw, power drill, liquid nails, and L-shaped brackets. I made mine upright and relatively simple- because I don't have the space for anything larger.

If you would like more info about how I assembled mine let me know.

We recently cut down a tree, and a portion of it is sitting in our kitchen, waiting to be turned into a cat tree.

My cats love the sisal rope. And cardboard. It's good to get them used to scratching on surfaces you don't have in your house so they don't get confused.

I would have loved to use a tree branch on mine! I know my cats would have loved to climb on one. I looked around but didn't find anything big enough on the ground.

Post pictures when you make yours!

Quote Originally Posted by insistal View Post
    I have built a cat condo.

I originally made it 6' 5" with 2 shelves- but the cats would not jump to the second shelf- so I cut it down to about 5'5" and moved the larger shelf down. I still need to finish the edges of the wood and paint the base, but my cats have been sleeping on it all weekend.

I tried to limit the amount of carpet I used on it because I'm afraid that it will collect too much hair. Also- I want them to get used to scratching harder surfaces- like the sisal rope or the wood- not my carpets or furniture.
    Hi,

I am also looking for how to make a condo for my pets. We are living in Ft. Lauderdale and I didn't find anything suitable in the stores here. It seems that I have to build it myself.. I don't see your pictures anymore, but I found some good ones on Google. If anybody has any good suggestions, please share them!

Cheers
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads