+ Reply to Thread

Flattening a stockinette scarf

Hi there -

I am working on a Harry Potter house scarf in stockinette. I knew stockinette would curl, so I used knit stitches along the edges, but I guess I should've done more, because the thing is still curling. A lot. Is there any way I can flatten it? I'd really prefer not to have to frog it if I don't have to. Thanks for any tips you've got ;).

Alison

2. # ADS

do you think it is something that can be helped by blocking? that is the only thing that comes to mind... blocking the heck out of it.

This isn't helpful now, but I just learned a neat trick to keep those edges a bit cleaner - slip the first stitch of a row. It's been working great on my (k1, p1) - is that stockinette? names are hard - shrug.

my mom works at a dry cleaners and after i knit a swatch in stockinette, she took it and steam pressed it for me and made it flat. she says people bring in afghans all the time to be steam blocked. its different than just pressing with a steam iron because they can keep the top of the press down and use a vacuum to suck out the steam and dry it. you'd have to find out what the cost would be in your area though.

if it's synthetic yarn, you can steam-block it with a steam iron and it will stay more or less flat. you need to make sure to hold the iron just a fraction of an inch over the scarf, not directly touching it, or you could melt the yarn instead of just steaming it. if it's natural fiber, you're pretty much stuck with a curled scarf. the only cure is to work a bigger border in garter stitch or use a non-curling stitch for the whole scarf.

so if the yarn is acrylic, i can steam-block it? (i'm also making a harry potter scarf)

For those planning to make Harry Potter scarves but haven't started yet: My advice is to knit them in the round. Make the scarf a tube, then sew up the ends when you're done.

The scarf will be two layers thick - still in stockinette stitch, but the right (knit) side will be on the outside all around. I made one this way as a gift a couple years ago using this pattern, and it turned out pretty well. I just wish I'd used thinner yarn because the double thickness made it kind of bulky. It is a bit more time-consuming that way (you're making twice as many stitches), but it claims to be exactly like the "official" scarves in the movies.

There's not really any permanent way to stop stockinette from curling. It happens because of the shape of the stitches, not the type of yarn or the knitter's technique. It's purposely used for garments that naturally curve around the body - but for anything that's supposed to lie flat, it's not so practical.

A follow-up on Katrin's method - and one I just learned - is double knitting. Basically you knit in two layers by doing knit 1, slip one on an even number of stitches, then turn, then continue to knit 1, slip 1. This looks like stockinette on both sides, doesn't curl, and is twice as thick as regular stockinette (although also takes twice as long to do since each row is really only half a row).

I'm making mittens like this from some thin acrylic yarn that I found ...

Here's a link to a great tutorial, and to a thread about this technique (and Harry Potter Scarves) on craftster.

But that doesn't solve your problem on flattening your already-in-progress scarf. steam sounds like your best bet :(.

del

Well, after all this, I discovered that my friend is already making herself a scarf. So I decided to rip out part of what I had already finished and make a random colorblock scarf for myself, alternating blocks of stockinette and garter stitch to keep it from rolling, But thanks for the tips, everyone - aside from the curling, I really liked the way the solid stockinette stripes looked, so i will probably be using these tricks in the future ;).

Alison

another "for future scarves" tip: my aunt made me a scarf using chunky yarn and a rib stitch--it looks like stockinette but it doesn't curl at all.

Ads