+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laminate purse made out of paper

went to a craft show and someone was selling purses that were made out of scrapbooking paper that had been laminated then sewed into a purse. She said she sent the paper somewhere to be laminated. Does anyone have any idea how this is done?

2. # ADS

Depends on how heavy the lamination is. You can do it with iron-on vinyl from a fabric store yourself.

Fast copy places like Kinkos can laminate for you too.

If you plan to make sewn together paper scraps into a two sided laminated large piece of fabric, you may need to call around to find a place that will do it.

Kinkos will laminate paper. You can also buy laminating machines at the craft store that will do a somewhat decent job.

Teacher supply stores probably could also help you with it.

For a low tech solution, you could try using clear contact paper and sandwich the paper between that.

There is also this iron on interfacing that makes fabric laminated. I don't recall the price per yard, but Joann's had it in their iron on interfacing section. It's typically used to make place mats and things like that.

It might be hard on your machine to sew through the heavy plastic laminate. I made a purse out of maps that I covered with contact paper, then sewed them together. I haven't used it very much, though, so I don't know how well it holds up...

Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    Depends on how heavy the lamination is. You can do it with iron-on vinyl from a fabric store yourself.
    have you tried that? i have some lying around somewhere but haven't tried it (or thought of trying it) on paper. i tried to use that stuff on some scarves to make bags and bibs, but every time, the plastic removed itself on areas that moved. it was really disappointing

years ago i saw some really cool DKNY bags that were made like that - they were brown paper bags - and i'm pretty sure that they were sandwiched between two layers of clear plastic. every time i have tried to duplicate this, the plastic just tears at any area that any pressure is applied. hope it works out - let us know what does work!

Well, I did see a technique on Carol Duvall, but instead of using plastic laminate, the lady used Bakeable Translucent Polymer Clay-Liquid Sculpey. It turned out very, very cool, and was more flexible and strong then I think that plastic would be. Here's the link:
    http://<br /> http://www.hgtv.com/h...150845,00.html

If you want to give that a shot instead of laminated plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by alteredtome
    Well, I did see a technique on Carol Duvall, but instead of using plastic laminate, the lady used Bakeable Translucent Polymer Clay-Liquid Sculpey. It turned out very, very cool, and was more flexible and strong then I think that plastic would be. Here's the link:
    http://<br /> http://www.hgtv.com/h...150845,00.html

If you want to give that a shot instead of laminated plastic.
    has anyone tried to do this yet? i went straight out and bought the liquid sculpey but have been uninspired to make anything lately. decided to try a little piece and when i was folding it to mock up the little bag, there were areas that seemed to... i don't know. like the clay would start wearing off. i have only put one layer on thus far but want to make sure it will actually work before wasting any more of the precious goo....

sorry for hijacking this thread, by the by....

so i guess my question is, will the liquid sculpey pass the stress test?

Hrrrm....maybe I should try something b4 I post it, huh? That's a bummer, Sarabell, that there were areas that were less than ideal. Was it cracking when you folded it?

I looked up the info on the lady that presented the idea on the show, and her whole site is dedicated to using liquid polymer clay. Maybe you could email her at Ankara@AnKaraDesigns.com? Her website is http://www.ankaradesigns.com/. It's a sister team, Ann and Karen Mitchell, and it was Karen that presented the idea on Carol Duvall.

I bought some liquid polymer clay, too, and it's just been sitting around. If I get around to trying this out, I'll let you know. And now I'm curious, too, has anyone else tried this yet? Using Liquid Polymer Clay, on paper or fabric? How did it hold up? Cause, yeah, for $8 per little bottle, you don't want to waste the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by alteredtome
    Cause, yeah, for $8 per little bottle, you don't want to waste the stuff.
    Buy it online - you can get bigger sizes that way!

We have used contact paper (the clear kind) and two layers of thin weight clear vinyl. The vinyl is kind of a pain to sew, because once you get four pieces together to have to sew through, it can kill your sewing machine needles.

Ads