Thread: hobbit house

hobbit house

I recently found a craftster online that was using birdhouses to make elfin houses! The roof was moss covered and little bits of driftwood were glued onto the siding. They intended for the item to be used for birds, or placed on the ground outside for toads, etc. However I wanted a hobbit house to resemble the ones on LOTR....
    I found a small wooden jewlery box in my local craft store and removed the hinges and top. I replaced the lid with a flat rock to make the roof, becuase I didn't like the slant of the birdhouse roofs. Some wood filler and wood glue works great. Then I attached a wood disk (craft store) to make it look like a round door. I hot glued tiny rocks and gravel to the sides of the box and even created little windows with ledges and overhangs and arched tops. No drilling or cutting because I don't really want a house for critters, just a decoration for my garden... For the finishing touches I added bark to the door and windows (like shutters) and a tiny door knob. Using a wooden napkin ring, I smeared glue and rolled it in dirt to create a chimney. Some moss on the roof and some wildflowers on the window ledges, and a few stepping stones brings it all together.
    Now I'm looking to create a little hobbit shire and try some other materials!
    I hope to post a picture of the finished craft, alas my camera is not working right now.

2. # ADS

That sounds so cute! Can't wait til you can share pictures!

I cannot wait to see that. There was a movie that was on cable recently, can't remember what it was called, of course, but it was about the young girls in England that claimed to have pictures of fairies, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got involved to promote the pictures, at the turn of the previous century. Anyways, they had constructed a 3 story fairy house out of moss and sticks and stones, and your little hobbit house reminded me of that. Makes me want to make one for my container garden pots for next year.

http://getcrafty.com/userfiles/canary/fullimages/hobbitat016.jpg[/img]
    I added photos of the hobbit house to my ALT CRAFTS album, but I'm not sure how to include it in posts.
    Please visit my album or blog to view the pics.
    Sorry!

OMG, that is so sweet! Thank you for sharing.

Kristina

PS. If you edit your post, and put this, [img] before the URL, I think the pic will show up in the post.

Remove Ads

Ads