Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bad knitting karma?

I have a nice yoga teacher. She gave me lots of advice over email outside of classes. I have to move away in a week and for a while I thought I'd make her something nice to say thank you.

So I picked out a pretty handpainted wool at a fiber festival and I am almost done making a scarf.

Except this week, my second-to-last class, I talked with her about some personal stuff before and after class, and I realized I don't hardly know her at all and she's actually kind of a jerk about certain issues!

So now I'm feeling like although I have invested the time & thought in each stitch I don't want to give her the scarf after all. But then, if I keep it (because it is pretty) will it forever be tainted by its history as "the scarf that was supposed to be for my yoga teacher but I changed my mind at the last minute"?

Ahh. help. Maybe I should rip it out and make something different to free it from some of its past. Or maybe I need to just give it to her and move on. Maybe she needs a gift to make her less jerky. I don't know!

2. # ADS

A gift to make her less jerky! I am nice to jerks all the time for the hopes that it will help them be nicer. In general, I haven't seen the fruits of this labor, but it's still the best way in the long run.

A gift because she is nice in some ways, if not all ways. And I agree w/Audra.

You're right. She needs it, the more I think about it. She is in her late 30s and single and possibly a little bitter about it. Some mostly-unsolicited kindness would probably be good for her.

Off to knit the last 10 rows! Thanks ladies.

good for you and may good knitting karma come your way!

You're showing your absolute non-jerkness in going forward with your kindness. That's really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by audra
    A gift to make her less jerky! I am nice to jerks all the time for the hopes that it will help them be nicer. In general, I haven't seen the fruits of this labor, but it's still the best way in the long run.
    jerk + gift = nice person. touché.

I once had a yoga teacher who, at the end of each session, would do a creative visualization. Often these would feature pink fluffy clouds. At that time I had a spinning wheel and plenty of fleece around. For a gift, I gave her a good-sized puff of pink fleece. She seemed to like it a lot. But it required no effort on my part (just cleverness, he, he), and she had no jerkiness in her at all.

She may not deserve it, but if you keep it (or even the yarn) you will forever feel bad for giving into negativity.

Give it, then go back and buy some more of the same yarn, and make yourself something from it to remind yourself that giving really is as much for you as for the recipient!

del

I too would go through with it. who can say what would be revealed if any one of us were analyzed? I am jerky sometimes I'm sure. But people's kindnesses really do have an effect on my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads