Knitting Machine?

Is there anyone out there that uses a knitting machine (sweater machine). I'm trying to decide if I should be putting one on my "Christmas List" or not. I've had one person tell me they're wonderful, and another person tell me they're the devil incarnate, so I was hoping to find some more in-between type opinions. . .
    So far I'm leaning towards getting one just because I love knitting, I'm just so darn slow. . . (4 months for a scarf; a year for a sweater)

Any input would help me out, thanks :)

2. # ADS

its funny that you posted this because i *just* got one as my college graduation present. i got the bond ultimate sweater machine (deluxe model from joann.com with 50% off coupon). i had read alot of good and bad reviews as well.
    i would say that it would help if you're mechanically minded, learn quickly, and really understand how knitting with the machine 'works' especially compared to handknitting. in terms of the bond you have to understand that it is just a plastic machine and it needs lubrication (i use silicon/teflon spray), a very level surface, and even weight.
    it only took me watching the enclosed video and an hour of practice to start cranking out self-designed projects, but for some people it does take alot of practice.

i hope this helps your decision. i really love having self-knitted objects in only a few hours. :)

i despise my bond machine and have yet to use it successfully. and i'd like to think i'm *somewhat* adept with a knitting machine, i learned on a really nice brother machine (complete with punch cards for instant patterns and fairisle) i had a really hard time finding any home machines when i was looking into them. ~15 years ago, my mom bought a brother machine for ~$100 but they don't seem to make home models anymore. at least not affordable ones. anything good i found recently cost several hundred to the thousands.

i think the bond machine is pretty chintzy and doesn't come with any "frills" like a row counter..... so if you do decide to put it on your list, make sure you look into the accessories and add them to the list as well.

but then again, i haven't been able to spend a great deal of time with it since it's definitely not something you can leave set up with toddlers about. hopefully i'll get to try it again soon and i'll have something nice to say about it....

sorry about the rant!

i haven't actually read this, but here is a new article/review from knitter's review on knitting machines:

http://knittersreview.com/article_to...t/050929_a.asp

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    i haven't actually read this, but here is a new article/review from knitter's review on knitting machines:

http://knittersreview.com/article_to...t/050929_a.asp
    i'd LOOOOVE to have one of those machines instead of mine. but i will give mine a second chance. one of these days.

There is a thread about knitting machines here.
    In which I talked about what I know about them.

Remove Ads

Ads