Thread: stenciling

stenciling

Ok, so I'm making this huge thing using stencils. I cut the stencil with an xacto blade into cardboard and use spray adhesive to stick it tightly onto my "test" paper. I'm using a roller with acrylic paint, but i'm not getting clear edges. Any advise for someone who has done this? Should I switch paints? Use spray paint? Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS

I saw someone on an HGTV show use a roller with a stencil, but I always thought you had to use little sponges or a little brush and dab it on instead of brushing because that can make it go under the edge of the stencil. Even if you can use rollers, there might be too much paint on it?

I did a stencil a few years ago, used the little sponges (spouncers I think they're called) and had to really dab off extra paint onto a paper towel to get a good edge. It kinda comes of distressed and country-ish looking, but you just keep dabbing until you get the right thickness.

This isn't going on a wall or anything. Actually, it's going on a canvas. I'm not decorating anything with this...it's just a tiny little part of a huge project.

from my experience, rollers are waisting a LOT of color, so I use paintbrushes with flat tops, and it works really well.
    Also, if you have small edges, maybe the roller doesn't go alle the way...

how big are the stencils?

If the cardboard is thick, I could see how the edges would be fuzzy. If you ARE using thicker cardboard (anything thicker than say, a manila folder thickness), you should use something like spray paint.

Think about using acrylic transparencies or something a lot thinner to get a sharper edge.

Remove Ads

Ads