please help! sock pattern confusion

Crafty ladies to the rescue!

I'm knitting my first pair of socks, and it seems that I've hit a wall. I've completed the heel flap and the little cup of the heel, and now I'm confused about what to do.

Here is the whole pattern I'm using:

http://knitting.about.com/library/bl...e+sock+pattern

Here is where I'm stuck:

Join the first colour back in if you made a contrasting heel. Now you will be picking up the stitches on the sides of the heel flap and knitting around the sock again. Those stitches you put aside before doing the heel flap have waited patiently and will be put back into use!

By slipping the first stitch of each row on the heel flap, you have made a lovely chain edge which will be easy to pick up. You should be able to get 14 stitches on each side, but don't worry if you get more or less than this. I usually pick up the stitches on one needle and knit them onto another, twisting them by knitting into the back of the loop.

Knit across those patient instep stitches, or continue them in ribbing, then pick up and knit the same number of stitches on the other side of the heel flap. Knit one half of the heel flap stitches (8 or 9) onto this needle. Mark the centre as the beginning of the round. You now have three needles with rather a lot of stitches on them - one for each side of the gusset and one for the instep. If you have a spare needle in about the same size you can put the instep stitches on two needles instead - I find this is much easier to work.
    HUH?

My yarn is at the end of my heel flap (I didn't use contrasting color for the heel), and I can't figure out any way to get that yarn to someplace workable Am I adding a new section of yarn to work the instep stitches and picking up a heel flap stitch on each side? That's how I'm reading that, but I feel like it's not the right way...

Any insight?

thanks in advance!!!
    Kate

2. # ADS

You don't have to add new yarn.
    Your yarn is at the end of the heel flap. You are at the "edge" of the side of the heel flap. You need to pick up 14 stitches along that side WITH A NEW NEEDLE (needle #1).
    At this point your yarn will be at the "edge" of your instep stitches. Knit across them (or rib as they mention) WITH A NEW NEEDLE (needle # 2).
    Now your yarn is at the "edge" of the other side of the heel flap. You need to pick up 14 stitches along that side WITH A NEW NEEDLE (needle #3). When you get to the stitches that are what is left of the heel flap, knit half of them onto needle #3. Slip the other half onto needle#1.
    Your yarn is now at the end of needle #3, and you have an extra needle in your hand. Where you are at right now is the beginning of the round. You are all set up to knit around now. When you knit into the picked-up stitches, just knit into the back of them (twist them) to avoid looseness.

The term pick up and knit is misleading to me. I just do it as above everytime and it works great.

Thank you so much for this explanation. This, along with staring at other sock patterns finally made it click.

My issue now seems to be that I have to purl everything to keep the stockingette stich on the outside, but that's fine. I just hope I can reproduce another similar sock.

THANKS!

Remove Ads

Ads