+ Reply to Thread

decorative artificial preserves

Does anyone know how to make these jars filled with fruit and veggies? I want to make these as christmas gifts but cannot find nor figure out how to make them ...please help?[/list]

2. # ADS

Okay, the title of the thread says decorative canning preserves. Do you mean the candles that look like cans of veggies or fruit? If so, I'm thinking that the best way for that would be to use plastic pieces of fruit/veggies/foods and cover with wax, although I'm not sure how you would find or make that gel wax in those candles. I guess you could also use dried pieces of fruit and veggies instead of plastic. You would put it in a glass jar and scent?

If you mean real canning/jelly making....I was thinking of starting a similar thread!

Sorry if I'm no help.

I think I've seen the gel candle "wax" in craft stores like Michaels. Never tried making anything with it, though.

If you are talking about gel candles that look like food items, try ebay. People sell realistic wax fruit/veggies all the time as add ins to gel candles. There is an official name for them, but I can't remember it.

You might be able to make your own out of opaque wax using a marzipan mold (if it can take the heat) and then surround it with clear wax. But I'm not sure about the safety hazards of combining gel and regular waxes...

www.cucinalatella.com/m.mv?1 If you go to this web page It will show you what i am talking about I did not descibe them well...sorry I think these preserve jars are he neatest things..

The whole thing seems so odd to me. I grew up with food preserved in mason jars, and it seems strange to go through the effort of canning, but not actually be able to eat the final product.

Did the site linked use real food, or were they plastic pieces (the site didn't really clarify)? I'm curious about the techniques, because the colors looked really nice and vibrant.

I believe they are real fruit and vegetables, but not packed in sugar, salt or vinegar brine. The fruits are not cooked, but might be washed for sterilization, blanched for best color, then the solution will be one that enhances the colors. It will not be edible, will not be palatable even if the solution is not poisonous.

Purely decorative, with a longer shelf life than your Great Aunt Gladys' most excellent pie cherries in rum sauce.

Personally, I think maraschino cherries come pretty close to that already.

You could use plastic, ceramic, or Fimo, fruit and veggies, place them in the canning jars and pour clear casting resin over them. I think you can get it either at a hardware store a hobby shop. I got the idea from a book on making monsters. The writer made a jar of "pickled" eyeballs.

Ads