Thread: felted purse?

felted purse?

hello
    I wanted to make a thick felted purse for my mom for her birthday.
    Only problem is I have no idea on how to go about doing this.
    Should I wash/boil commercial felt?
    Buy a sweater from good will and wash it?
    Any other ideas?
    Any help would be appreciated
    :]

2. # ADS

the sweater from goodwill is a good idea. or knit or crochet a bag and felt (or rather, full) it. there are many threads floating around related to felting for some ideas as well.

make it wet...

you could also wet felt a purse using wool roving. you can easily make it as thick as you'd like. I'm not sure how much (or little) you know about felting... but if you google "wet felted purse" or "felted purse resists" you will come up with a few good how-to sites.

I'd say knit (or crochet) a purse, then felt it (Knitty has some good patterns, if you don't want to make one up).

If you don't knit, you could get some old wool sweaters, throw them in the laundry to felt them, and then cut and sew the pieces into a bag. You could do the same with just regular wool fabric - it shrinks up nice and thick when washed in hot water. Just remember it has to be 100% wool to felt.

The commercial "felt" that's sold in craft stores is something different - its fibers are not woven at all, just matted together, and it's probably made of synthetic material (I could be mistaken about that). With all the processing it's already been through, it wouldn't shrink or thicken up any more with washing.

I found this posted on a ChicKnits web site online, seems to have step by step photos as well:

http://www.chicknits.com/howtopurse.shtml

check out the sweater purses thread for info on felting sweaters to make purses There's a how-to at Women's Day, for example:

http://www.womansday.com/article.asp...8&section_id=3

Quote Originally Posted by Katrin

The commercial "felt" that's sold in craft stores is something different - its fibers are not woven at all, just matted together, and it's probably made of synthetic material (I could be mistaken about that). With all the processing it's already been through, it wouldn't shrink or thicken up any more with washing.
    i've noticed that it shrinks and compacts just a tad - at least on the appliqued toddler items i have.

in other felting, or rather fulling news..... i was very happy to FINALLY find merino wool last week at michaels - paton's classic wool. fulls very nicely. as much as i'd love to support the independant yarn shops and discontinue supporting corporate bs, i just can't afford such indulgences as often as i'd like.

Remove Ads

Ads