Egyptian/Pharaonic-themed Birthday Party

I am helping a friend plan an Egyptian/Pharaonic-themed birthday party, and I am looking for ideas for decorations, invitations, and food to make. (I couldn't figure out which forum to post this in, since I'm looking for so many different kinds of ideas.) So far, we've decided on a color scheme: royal purple, gold, and possibly some black. We want to have a throne for the birthday boy, and I would like to make some sort of a headpiece for him to wear. Other than that, we're still in the brainstorming phase, so any and all suggestions are welcome. I know what the basic motifs should be - pyramids, sphinxes, hieroglyphics, etc. - but I am not sure of how to incorporate those into crafty projects for the party. And I have absolutely no idea about appropriately-themed food.

Please post suggestions, links to tutorials, titles of reference books that I might want to check out, whatever. We've got one month to get it all done, and I'm sure it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - we're on a really tight budget. The party will be held in a rented space, and there will be at least 100 attendees (it's a milestone birthday).

Also, does anyone have an idea of where I can get synthetic peacock feathers?

Thanks!

:o)

2. # ADS

My dad recently came back from egypt and he brought us all cartouche necklaces. You could use an 'egyptian' alphabet like this: http://www.geocities.com/trpjwig/hie...ieroglyph.html in a simpler style to make placeholders, invitations, banners, whatever, or it could be an activity where everyone makes their own cartouche (they are written vertically).
    thats the only neat idea i have so far.

The cake could be in a pyramid shape and cover it in a layer of frosting and then a layer of sanding sugar tinted yellow (for sand). Or you could make a tall rectangular cake that was shaped & decorated like a sarcophagus (eww, but might be fun anyway).

Just googled it, and here's a pic of a gingerbread pyramid filled with goodies: Click here.

Dover publishes those little tiny books for $1 (some are stickers, some are paperdolls, etc.) and I'm sure you could find some egyptian ones.

Ooh, i just found this: Egyptian Crafts. On this website, they link to this hieroglyphics site and mention that you could sound out kids' names in hieroglyphics and make a sign for their rooms, etc.

Ooh, here are more cool crafts: http://www.boiseartmuseum.org/education/egyptian.htm

Here's a write up on an Egyptian-themed party. Looks like for food, they kind of just went generic middle eastern food: hummus tray, baklava, shish kebabs, etc.

Here's a page on Egyptian games (for kids)

More ideas including have a "dig" at the party, giving each kid a roll of toilet paper to wrap herself up as a mummy.

This website talks about what an actual ancient egyptian party might have been like. The most notable thing I saw was that the guest of honor sits at a chair, but the guests sit on pillows on the floor (that could be fun).

Here are some more ideas.

Um, holy long post, Batman.

Thanks for the links, ladies! Keep 'em coming. I'll be doing the invitations this weekend.

Well, the invitations are not very Egyptiany, but they fulfill my two main requirements: 1) they use materials that I already have, and 2) it will be easy to make 100 of them fast. Maybe I'll get more creative with the other stuff.

The invitations are about 3 1/2 inches tall and 7 inches wide. Here's the outside and the envelope:

I used Strathmore textured paper for the invitation and Astrobrights paper scraps for the outside decoration and inside text. I used a handcarved stamp for the design. I made the envelopes from Astronights black paper. I'll use clear address labels over the purple "label".

I've refined the inside copy just a bit from what is pictured here, and there's a horizontal line underneath the text.

Thos are Egyptian! and very nicely done!

Awesome.

And ha ha, most of my suggestions were for children... eep.

Don't worry - I usually find directions for kids to be more useful anyway. :o)

I have to say that spending almost every second of my not-at-work time on these invitations this week has considerably dampened my enthusiasm for this project. And I'm still not finished!! And this isn't even my party - I'm just doing a favor for a friend!

Oh well, at least I have a good excuse for breaking out my Wilson Phillips CD for sing-a-long crafting. :o)

Wish you make a wonderful party

Hey,
    I liked you idea about making a fancy party, and I''m an Egyptian and think i may help.........especially as much as food is concerned
    You have a great variety of Egyptian recipes suitable for your day, and you may choose one of them or the collection needed
    Last, wish you have a great day and your friend as well

Remove Ads

Ads