Tin Can Question

Does anyone know if it's possible to strip tin cans, the kind that maybe chocolate or cookies come in? Or maybe to paint them so it won't scratch off? I'm hoping to use this for a kids room. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. # ADS

Spray paint works pretty well if you're just going for one color (or you could stencil one color over another - I don't think it would scratch off as easily as, say, acrylic paint would. You could also paint it with regular paints (just don't water them down) and seal it with Mod Podge - or paint and decoupage it, then seal with M.P. Are the tins more for storage or decoration (or both?)
    That's all I got for now!
    -faboolicious

Thank faboo, they'd be for toy and knick knack storage. I'll try the spray paint!

How about the metal paint someone was talking about on the thread about painting altoid tins? That might not scratch off so easily.

Sand them there cans...

If you give each can a light sanding, it will create a "tooth" and make the paint stick.
    Sand, then prime with metal primer, then spray with a "railroad white" or basic grey paint, then spray on paint, then use Krylon "clear-coat" in matte or gloss: it will last for a long time.
    If you paint by hand, use a more coarse sandpaper, prime w/gesso, and use acrylic, then seal with clear coat. Acrylic is vinyl-based, so it needs texture to hang on to, otherwise, painting too smooth of a surface will make the acrylic peel off or scratch off easily.
    Wait for the paint to dry completely before clear coat... some pigments will run if not given enough time to set.

Remove Ads

Ads