+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blank Placemats

Blank Placemats

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to the crafting world, and I was wondering if anyone knows where to score plain (maybe linen) placemats or napkins. I have awesome patterns from SublimeStitching.com that I want to put on them before the holidays...but I can't seem to find anything without a design already on! Any ideas?? Thanks for any help!

Samst132
    Pittsburgh, PA

2. # ADS

mle
    I don't know how much you enjoy sewing, but if you're looking for plain placemats and napkins, I would think that your best bet would be to head off to a fabric store and get some nice fabric and build them yourself. If you're set on buying them ready made, department stores would likely have the best quality, whereas a dollar store or craft store would likely have the best price.
    Reading over this, I don't think I've been very helpful at all. I'm sorry. Good luck!

No, that's very helpful..thanks!

I started to make a table runner from "scratch", and I think that may be a little over my head! I am going to try and buy placemats that I can adorn, and go from there...Thank you for responding!!!

I have been looking for the same things lately because I bought one of her patterns specifically for placemats.

I would suggest going to Target or Burlington Coat Factory or anywhere they sell home stuff.

I haven't found any yet because I am being really cheap, but I am going to go to Burlington maybe this weekend and I once found really nice placemats there for 50 cents a piece.

In the Pittsburgh area you may want to try "Big Lots." I found plain napkins 2 for $.99 in the Mckees Rocks area. I bought 20 dark blue. There were pastel pink and green there as well but I'm a little too Goth for that. I wasn't looking for the placemats, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomico Revilak
    In the Pittsburgh area you may want to try "Big Lots." I found plain napkins 2 for $.99 in the Mckees Rocks area. I bought 20 dark blue. There were pastel pink and green there as well but I'm a little too Goth for that. I wasn't looking for the placemats, though.
    I could hug you for that. Here I am selling up Big Lots to a friend and never even bothered to check there for the placemats!!!

I don't think doing the placemats from "scratch" would be too difficult. I'd just use that iron-on stuff and maybe stick two together. But that's only because I'm kinda dumb when it comes to sewing. It could be a cool no-sew project if you want to spend a weekend doing that. But that would be a last resort for me if you can't find something just right for your dining room or your gift or whatever. You can probably find some cool ideas too online.

Another option could be to use fabric that doesn't fray and just cut it out if you are too nervous to sew, yet. Felt, leather, vinyl and faux fur come to mind as examples. Faux fur may be a bit difficult to add stuff to but hot glue could help you to add Faux fur to other things.

I'm glad I could help with refreshing your memory about Big Lots. I live in the Pittsburgh area as well.

Ads