Thread: tea towels?

tea towels?

Could anyone tell me how to make tea towels or at least what fabric I could use to make them?

Jess K.
    www.jessysdolls.com

2. # ADS

I can't, but I can say HI JESS!

I like it when they are made out of plain cotton - not cotton knit, like t-shirt material, but plain cotton like a shirt.

Cotton damask is hard to find in yard goods, unless it's finished for upholstery. But that makes an excellent tea towel. You could find a damask tablecloth at a thrift and use that I suppose.

There is a Swedish woven good that is called Huck or huck toweling. It isn't terribly wide generally, but has an interesting weave that takes embroidery or other trims well. I do a Swedish style woven embroidery on it, but I think just about anything would work. Because of the very clear weave, this material is very easy to square up for perfect shaped tea towels. You would pull two warp or two weft threads completely through and then cut along the gap. Of course that needs hemming.

There are nice linens that make good tea towels. True linen will wrinkle when you look at it, so a bit of poly or synthetic in it may be a plus. And there are broadcloth cottons that may have enough weight to make decent tea towels.

If you are looking for a lint free tea towel, the tighter the weave the better. This is where damask would be nice.

God, I sound like suzy homemaker. Nevermind, go on about your business folks, nothing to see here...

Thanks for the info!

dish towels!

Flour sack towels are what i've always used. It's very hard to find nice THICK ones like grandma used anymore! The ones at places like Target are a joke..WAY too thin. The only store I've found is Fleet Farm. I'm sure that place isnt even that well known. I would just say look online! I havent checked around in awhile but FLOUR SACK!

OR AT Target in the auto department they have 'cloth diapers' for cleaning cars in like a set of six.. Those are OK but can cause some problems with uneven thickness!

Hi,

Were you thinking of getting a design printed onto tea towels? I've done this before with my illustrations with http://www.classprinting.co.uk and I was really pleased with the quality of them.

You can also use muslin. It is inexpensive and can give you an aged, country look.

Remove Ads

Ads