Thread: Purse ideas....

Purse ideas....

Hey, I'm very new here, but I've been looking around and this seems like a pretty neat place. Anyways, I'm looking for purse ideas. My old one is just too plain. My skill level is probably beginner to low-intermediate. I've already done the denim purse(the jeans cutoff one), so I'd like to try something else. I like medium sized purses, with a shoulder strap(I cannot stand most purses with smaller handles...forgot the name >_< ), and lots of pockets(or something I can modify to add lots of pockets to). Any ideas?

Thanks a ton!!!

2. # ADS

Aside from a pillow case, I would think that a simple purse is one of the easiest things in the world to sew. I'ts just one giant rectangle folded in three, with a strap. I can visualize adding a lining to it (make a pillow case with the two fabrics right-side-together, trim the seams, turn it inside out), and inserting finished panels of fabric (for divider pockets) that stretch between the purse's two side seams, or the strap/side seams. And you could also sew small patch pockets onto the lining before you sew it onto the main fabric.

Ohhh, I hope this is making sense. I sometimes make purses but have never used a pattern, so I can't steer you to a good one.

Just make sure that the fabric you use for the outside is sturdy, and the color/pattern kicks it.

(After years of plain black purses I threw caution to the wind and try to use the wildest purses I can find on sale. I've used a faux fur purse, one with beaded flowers, a purple purse and right now am toting around a suede fleece purse the color of a blood orange.)

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_stroozi
    Aside from a pillow case, I would think that a simple purse is one of the easiest things in the world to sew. I'ts just one giant rectangle folded in three, with a strap. I can visualize adding a lining to it (make a pillow case with the two fabrics right-side-together, trim the seams, turn it inside out), and inserting finished panels of fabric (for divider pockets) that stretch between the purse's two side seams, or the strap/side seams. And you could also sew small patch pockets onto the lining before you sew it onto the main fabric.

Ohhh, I hope this is making sense. I sometimes make purses but have never used a pattern, so I can't steer you to a good one.
    That's true. I really really wanted a ska(b&w checkerboard pattern) messenger bag...but I'd given up because all the instructions I'd found look too complicated(my sewing skills are...decent at best)...you put it in a way that gives me hope again ;) Now to find lining and order that fabric I wanted...also start looking for messenger bag patterns...thanks for the advice! :)

Oh yeah, you could make a messenger-bag-ish looking purse. It's just a matter of getting its proportions right. BTW, the check pattern fabric sounds terrific! And the checkerboard grid will give a nice guide to cutting straight lines!!

have you popped over to craftster.org? search in the "bags" area for "the jordy bag"-- it is the big fave easy-to-sew-bag over there. you'll get one done in no time!

Also, lots of people here really like Amy Butler's bag patterns. I haven't tried them but I have seen the results and they look terrific.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/mainmenu.php

okay okay:
    idea! for you:
    check out this site (it's mine so...yeah):
    http://www.hopeisforever.bravehost.com/Create.html

Thanks and good luck

Remove Ads

Ads