Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

christmas gifts for kids

Hello all,

I have a half a dozen neices and nephews for which I hope to make some stellar hand-made Christmas gifts (I'm the creative aunt on a shoestring budget). Last year I gave them projects: a home-made paper set, a rainmaker and home-made playdo for the two year old. I have also made story books with pictures of family that I laminated for extended wear.

This year, I think I will make family memory cards for the younger ones but am hoping to arrive at some cool ideas for the 5-9 year olds. any ideas out there?

gracias,

e.

2. # ADS

Do you have an idea of their particular interests? My daughter is 8 and in love with astronomy. My son at this age was wild for rocks & minerals. Kids at this age tend to be quite passionate about their interests, and if their "Favorite Mad Auntie" (meant as a high compliment, of course!!!) comes a-callin' with something that represents THEM they will be thrilled.

i the same person who wrote above, new name... had trouble logging in with my former id.

good point, thank you. it totally does depend on the interest of the kid.

i have a sciency 10 year old nephew into any and all things living. he is a walking encyclopedia.

a very dramatic and artsy/rough and tumble 8 year old boy who has a vivid imagination.

if you have any cool ideas for kids, i'd love to hear them. thanks.

e.

I will ask my kids and get back to you! 8-)

Another cool idea I heard of for nieces and nephews is a "Something of the Month Club". Basically you promise to send/give them something every month for the next year.
    Examples...
    A Lollipop
    A Hotwheel Car
    Stickers
    Small plastic animals
    Etc
    I am thinking about doing this with my niece and nephew. I think that it is also a neat way to stay connected with them since they live so far away.

Although these are not things that you can make, my 8YO suggested for the older boy: a microscope, and for the younger boy: a marionette.

thank you, both great suggestions. i am far away from them so i really like the idea of sending them things and being a little more involved in their lives. very cool. besides, who doesn't love a package?

you could also make a hollowed out book to store treasures. you can glue the pages together, then line the inside with felt and put in a surprise trinket (like candy necklace, chocolate coins, etc).

My 8-year-old daughter and I have been making board games. We started doing it just for the fun of it, but some of our results were so beautiful we decided to give them as gifts. One can get really creative with these. The nicest ones we've made have been on watercolor paper, colored with watercolors and markers. For playing pieces, we've made some out of sculpey, and we've used little plastic animals for other.

Ours have been based on a game in a book called "Games for Math," by Peggy Kaye, which is geared toward 1st through 3rd graders. We cut out a lot of cards (from index cards) with math problems on them, in three different categories: easy, hard, and "fiendishly difficult." The answer to the problem is how far you move on the game board. One could maybe use trivia questions or dice or a spinner instead. The game board is like a trail, with four "start" spots and lots of spots in between saying things like "go back 3 spaces," "stay put," "double it," "WIN," etc. One can be creative with this, and also with the theme. The game in the book is called Fast Track, but we've made some "Through the Magic Wood" games with unicorn and monster themes. Another idea would be to base it on a favorite story. We made some other games with a barnyard theme, using little farm animals as playing pieces.

To give, we rolled up the game board, tied it with a nice ribbon, and attached the game pieces and questions in small zip-lock baggies.

Another idea: make a hula hoop. See hooping.org for directions. The ones you can make are much better than the ones in the stores. You could decorate it yourself or include tape to make it a design-your-own-hoop kit. I'm actually making these this year for several adults.

Deirdre

I checked out the hooping website. so fun! I like your idea on the board games, do you just make up your own rules or do you model it after other games?

elizabeth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads