Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap Xmas party ideas

I'm a poor college student, trying to throw a classy holiday party, and i could use some help!

so far the plan is:

paper snowflakes hung over the front door like a fringe, xmas lights on the ceiling, holiday cookies, cheap liquor, and the tradition yule log movie on the tv... any other ideas? so far it isn't really enough to make a holiday statement...

2. # ADS

we are making snowflakes for my friends party from white pipecleaners to throw around the tables and and trow on the tree. take about 5 pipecleaners, cut in half, wrap one of the pipecleaners around the center of the bunch and bend out the rest form the center. simple and only 2.99 for a package of 100 chenile pipecleaners.

Pipecleaners are the BEST. I use them for whatever whenever I can get away with it.

I take a bundle of metallic pipecleaners, wrap each around a pencil with the loops close together, take them off the pencil, pull them gently to open the loops, bend slightly in the middle, and throw them onto a big bowl of tangerines. Or apples. They look terrific, very festive. Easy to clean up, too.

Think red, green, gold. Those thick paper tableclothes you can get at restaurant supply stores or party stores. Scatter gold or silver snowflakes on them, or even curlicued gold or silver pipe cleaners. Nice colored paper napkins.

When I was in college we had the kind of ceiling tile you could actually staple into, and my roommate and I stapled strands of tinsel up there. It looked great.

You could make a playlist of Christmas songs (old and new) and have it play through the party.

I'd also suggest candles, but maybe that's a bad combination with cheap liquor. :)

how about the old trick of wrapping pictures on the walls to make them look like packages.

i think a cheesy gift exchange is fun; like bring a true, useless white elephant gift.

decorating cookies or graham cracker gingerbread houses can be fun (but messy).

if you have cardboard or styrofoam tubes, you can put red ribbon or paint on them to make them look like candy canes. you can also cut discs out of styrofoam and paint them to look like candies.

on the we channel last night, they decorated this house for christmas. they went totally overboard, but some ideas can translate to real life. my favorite was when they put candy on the walls for a family with small kids. and all the candy is at little kid hand and eye level.

http://www.we.tv/article?CID=key%3D642%26tzOffset%3D0

what about value village right there on sleater-kinney road? they've got to have something good and cheap there!

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    what about value village right there on sleater-kinney road? they've got to have something good and cheap there!
    are you from the lacey area then? :) i love that value village, i get all sorts of great old furniture there to fix up. that's a good idea though, i should pop over and check out their holiday stock.

and i love the ideas about pipe-cleaners and wrapping paper pictures, i will definitely *attempt* to do those proper

I recently saw cool ornaments at a craft show. They were ordinary lightbulbs (in various shapes) painted in Christmas colors, be-glittered, and hung from string. You could string up a bunch of those.

I totally vote for decorating cookies. Decorating cookies is tons of fun.

Candy canes. Lots of them, in bowls. Different sizes & colors. Mix up the canes with bows &/or pipe cleaner curlicues.

Don't forget paper chains and popcorn strings! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads