winter-themed kid craft ideas

I am working at a gymnastics camp over winter break this year. I don't do gymnastics, my job is basically to supervise the kids, and I am helping out my friend who is in charge while killing time and making some spare change. I was wondering if any of you could give me ideas about crafts that are winter themed. We have kids ages 5 to 13 potentially this year, and limited resources. Help!

2. # ADS

:( nobody has any ideas for me? Come on, I know some of you have kids.

There's always paper snowflakes!

You can make ornaments (assuming, of course, a majority of kids are Christian... I know there are Jewish regions in FL but I'm not sure which are which) with salt and wheat clay.

If you can dig up baby food jars, they could make snowglobes too. Not that many of the kids down there have seen snow, though, right?

Actually, that's why I asked for winter-themed crafts...because some of the children are most probably going to be jewish. Thanks for your ideas!

You can make paper gingerbread figures on brown construction paper, and the kids can cut them out and color them in with various things.

With the snowflakes, depending on the size of the room, you could hang some fishing line, and put the kids snowflakes up as they are finished. At the end of the camp, you could have a cookie party to celebrate.

Depending on budget, you could buy a bunch of pom poms and have the kids make pom pom critters. they can be glued to magnets and used on the fridge at home or their school locker.

Salt painting is creative. Get salt, then put it in bottles and add some food coloring. Shake it until it's mixed up well, then put it into squeezie bottles (like ketchup comes in). Have the kids make glue designs and squirt each color on in stages. For extra fanciness, add some glitter to the salt.

If you have an old record player, you can do spin art.

You can also get some acrylic paints and some smooth river rocks and have them paint pet rocks. You can also give them feathers, googlie eyes, and other stuff to add cool touches.

Depending on how many kids there are, you may want to split that group up into at least two, preferably three, smaller groups based on age (5-7, 8-10, and 11-13 would be ideal). 13-year-olds aren't usually going to get excited about the same crafts a 5-year-old will. If you can't split them up, you can maybe at least have two or three crafts available, so they can work on different things.

A few of my favorite sites for fun activities with kids, including crafts:

http://pbskids.org/zoom/ (click on "activities from the show")

http://marthastewart.com/page.jhtml;...&rsc=bottomnav

http://janbrett.com/ (maybe more geared toward the younger children -- consider doing these along with reading one of her books from the library)

Also, check out the children's section in the library, there are usually a lot of crafts books there.

One really fun book for inexpensive activities to do with kids is Kid's Concoctions. I've found all ages of kids get into these ideas. I wouldn't necessarily call it crafts, because for many of these projects the goal is the experience, not the result.

Mary Anne Kohl's books are also great for children's crafts.

Deirdre

marble magnets

How about making marble magnets with them? It's super-cheap, and there are non-toxic glues that you can use that work as well as the silicone based ones.

I have photos of ones I made if you want instructions etc, just let me know!

I just got an idea from something my daughter brought home from school. You make a snowflake out of three pipe cleaners, and hang it from a pencil. In a jar you put boiling water and them borax. You hang the snowflake in the jar overnight. The next day it is covered in sparkles and looks real.

If you're interested, I have the exact instructions at home.

the martha stewart living has some cute ideas under the kids' holiday crafts section.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/home.jhtml?rsc=topnav

Remove Ads

Ads