Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new silk screener with questions

After lurking for a month or so, I'm finally joining the board (Hello!). Anyway I'd been wanting to try to silk screen for a while and reading all of your posts motivated me enough to buy one of those Speedball kits and yesterday I actually did it! I'm already totally hooked. Onto my questions: I'd like to start making some good quality personalized shirts for friends and was wondering what kind of shirts and fabric inks (both with as many colour options as possible) do you guys recommend? How much screen filler (or rather, how little) should I use? Also, is it ok that not all of the screen filler and paint didn't come off my screen after scrubbing for an hour? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks, and once again, I'm so excited to finally join - this forum is terrific!

2. # ADS

Okay, so here is a bunch of info, ready?:

Speedball Clean-up Instructions:

Immediately wash out ink with warm water and dishsoap.

Screen Filler Clean-Up-

Greased Lightning or Comet cleanser is preferable for removing screen filler. One (1) cup of Arm & hammer's Washing Soda dissolved in one (1) gallon of water is also suitable.

A. Apply to both sides of the screen with paintbrush. Scrub with a nylon bristle brush.
    B. Apply again to both sides. Let stand in horozontal position for 3-5 minutes.
    C. Scrub with a nylon britle brush while spraying with a forceful stream of water.

Photo Emultion Remover Method:

Be certain all of the ink has been removed from the screen fabric. Apply SPEEDBALL Photo Emultion Remover liberally to both sides of the screen using a paintbrush. Immediately scrub both sides with a dry nylon bristle brush. Again, apply Speedball Photo Emultion Remover to both sides of the stencil. Keep screen in a horozontal position for 3 minutes. Scrub both sides with a nylon bristle brush and flush with a hard spray of hot water.

That is what the Speedball website says in the instructions.

I took waterbased silkscreen printing in college and we used this product:

http://www.ulano.com/

The screen emultion came off a lot easier than the speedball kind does. Especially if you use the ulano meant for oil printing (but use the water based anyway). Because bleach removes the stencil really easliy.

Good luck, and welcome!

sewing stars, thanks so much for the reply! I plan on trying to get some of that ulano stuff. By the way, terrific site - I <3 your stuffed doggies.

I have been silk screening for a while. I like some of the Speedball inks but not the screens. One tip that works great is that if you take your screen to a powerwasher or coined car was and power wash it after each set. I have about 6 screens that i will work with, and then clean them all at once. Degreesers work wonders under pressure. As for the filler, there are many ways you can make your own, instead of buying some. I will try to find the parts list and post it. Oh and try to get other screens Speedball wear down easy after time.

Thanks for the reply =) Anyway- the last, and first time, I used my Speedball silk screen kit was over five days ago. After I used it I immediately tried to get all the screen filler and fabric paint off my screen using an old toothbrush with hot water and Windex (the booklet in the kit reccommended that), but I only managed to get off about 3/4 of the stuff. Is that screen unuseable now?

The chances of reclaiming the screen are probably not good at this point. It might less work to buy more mesh and just re-stretch your screen over the frame and start over.

In the class I took a while ago we used Union inks and also different kinds of fabric dye mixed with base extender. You can also do interesting stuff with discharge paste.

ursonate: what exactly is discharge paste?

i have the speedball screenprint kit. i also couldn't get all the screenfiller and some ink out, and left it for about a week. i felt pretty dumb. but, i finally bought some comet, and made a thick paste with water, let it sit for about 20 minutes, rinsed, then applied it again for 20 minutes, and my screen is free and clear. and comet is less than a dollar, so it's great!

Discharge paste removes the dyes from natural fabrics. You apply it however you want, then iron. It reacts differently on different fabrics and dyes. I haven't tried this yet, but you can mix it with a dye and then screen it on to fabric and then instead of just discharging the dye that was there, it will actually replace it with the new dye. Other other good thing about it is it won't destroy your screens like bleach will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads