Royalty free knitting instruction illos?

Okay, here be quite possibly the most random question ever. This is one for those ladies in the house who know something about how craft books are written.

I'm putting together a proposal for a craft book, and I'd like to include some basic instructions on how to knit. We're talkin' basic -- like, long-tail cast on, knit, purl, k2tog, maybe a make-1 or a yarn over, and that'd be pushing it. Is there a source for those illustrations used in "how to knit" books, that one could use legally without paying someone? Or heck, even if such a thing existed for use that one WOULD have to pay for... I wouldn't even know where to look.

I guess I'm saying that I need to find some illustrations for a learn-to-knit section. Where do they come from? :)

I've got my partner, who is a comic book artist, lined up to make some illustrations, but I'd rather not ask him to reinvent the wheel. Seems like such a thing should be out there, it's in every knitting pamphlet at the craft store...

Thanks!

2. # ADS

i don't know of any sites like this, but i live in brooklyn and am an illustrator, so if you really need help i'd be willing to.

Thanks, that's really kind of you! Might take you up on it, even. Will ping you from here, if so.

Again, much appreciated.

This problem may already be resolved, but I thought I'd put it out there - this link is where someone describes how they quickly illustrate knitting techniques by scanning in the actual knitting, then traces the outline of the scan with MS Paint:

http://www.earthheartdesigns.com/Ear...r_knitting.htm

There's a kniiting magazine in the UK that always includes a section at the back detailing how to get started, such as how to cast on, knit, purl, etc. Instead of illustrations they use photographs. I think its much better than drawings as you can see exactly what your knitting is supposed to look like. Hope this helps!

Remove Ads

Ads