Thread: cheap fabrics

cheap fabrics

does anyone know of a good website that i could find and buy cheap fabric on? i find that most of the stores in my area give me a limited amount of fabric to choose from...i have tons of ideas for things to make but unfortunately i can't find good fabrics to use.

2. # ADS

Cheap Fabrics

You can try our site www.5bucksayard.com - we sell first quality, 100% cotton fabric for crafting, sewing, and quilting all at $5/yard.

We carry Michael Miller, Robert Kaufman, Alexander Henry and Amy Butler - but be careful w/Amy's fabric because she is in a licensing agreement with a mfg. to make handbags out of her fabric.

Presently we are only online retail, but we are considering setting up a wholesale program for indie crafters, so if you have a few friends who are looking for fun novelty, hip fabric and want to split a bolt, let me know.

Shipping is USPS Priority Mail, and we will be having a free shipping promo for the Super Bowl.

Another few sites to check are:

www.fabrics.com
    www.reprodepot.com
    www.fabricblowout.com

Hope that helps. Good luck and let me know if you are looking for something specifically - we are road tripping to MODA on Monday and a trip to another fabric distributor later in the week in the Midwest.

Thanks, eileenz

Oh my gawd, eileenz, but your fabric is awesome, and to see Michael Miller at 5 bucks a yard takes my breath away. Thank you for your website -- it has been bookmarked with great delight!

BTW, how big a swatch do your sample pics represent? It would help to know so I could accurately visually the size of the fabrics' graphics.

i collect lots of unique fabrics from thrift stores- both from clothing and also from the bedding/curtain bins.

cheap fabrics

Hi, and thanks for your comments about our site. We have only been up and running a few months.

The sizes of the pictures are just thumbnails. We do have some enlargements on the site. However, if you are looking at a specific fabric, please let me know and I will try and get you an enlarged photo or at least a pattern repeat measurement.

BTW, I made a mistake on one of the other websites listed - it should be www.reprodepotfabrics.com - sorry for the bad link. They have great fab fabrics and the prices are good too. Very oriented towards the handmade market.

We specialize in that we wanted to make fabrics readily available at a great price. So our stock is sometimes not as current as other sites, but we think it is a model that works.

I also agree w/honeybee that you can find some great fabric finds at thrift stores and also garage sales. Check also with independent decorators. Sometimes they have sample books or rems from jobs they cannot use. I have gotten some great silk dupionis that way.

Again, thanks, and let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

Good luck and happy crafting.

EileenZ

I get fabric from thrift stores as well. Additionally, you might want to join and then post on freecycle.com if there is a group in your area. Walmart has $1/yd and $2/yd tables, but you'll have to pick carefully.

I go to thrift stores and look at bedsheets... I got an awesome He-Man sheet for $1.50 and I made a neat hoodie from cutting out Skeletor.
    And there are pretty tablecloths and stuff, too.

Tavia, since you are in NJ it might be worth your while to locate the garment district in NYC and see what little shops are in the area.

If you were in So CA I would tell you by all means come to downtown L.A. and hit Michael Levine's -- a HUGE fabric store with amazing bargains if you look in the right stacks -- and the little shops around it for a coupla blocks up down and left/right of it. There's some shops that specialize in $1 a yard stuff. Usually poly, but decent poly, I've made nice stuff out of it. Swear to God, on that block I once bought five yards of rayon the sales guy swore was a famous Italian designer whose name just flew out of my brain .... doesn't matter if he was trying to snow me or not, the 60" rayon was FIVE BUCKS A YARD, with the bestest print. I still have it, can't make myself cut into yet I love it so.

Anyhoo, Michael Levine's is developing a website, and it could be a great place to get great fabric if they do it right. In the meantime, I'm shopping at elieenz' site.

FYI it is freecycle.org not .com and it's a great place to get craft supplies, including fabric, but since you don't usually get to see what you are getting sometimes it's not anything you can use! But hey, it's free!

Remove Ads

Ads