Thread: Acrylic Bikini

Acrylic Bikini

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site.. i'm looking for a pattern for a bikini.. i know there's some already on the website and i've looked at them but i need a pattern for acrylic yarn.

i have the yarn picked up and i really love it and want to make 5 bikini tops for me and my girlfriends to wear at a music festival together. It glows in the black light:D

I'm just new to knitting .. baby knitter.. so i don't really know how to change a pattern from cotton to arcylic.. and what size of needle to use..

HELP! thanks so much :D

2. # ADS

A more experienced knitter than I may need to weigh in here, but...it is my understanding that you can substitute materials as you like. Cotton v. acrylic v. wool v. blends shouldn't impact the look of the outcome. If the yarns are of the same weight, thickness, etc. you should be okay.

Knit a swatch with your yarn and see if it matches the guage they recommend. Too big - substitute smaller needles. Too small - get bigger needles.

Having said all of that, I think you would need to be concerned about material if you wanted to do bathing suit things. I have no idea what would happen if you jumped in the pool in an acrylic bikini - but you should be good at a concert. Black light yarn sounds awesome.

I'm not sure what the weight of it is.. i bought it at a garage sale. but it looks like normal acrylic.. lol.. i'm pretty sure there's different types but they all look the same to me.. i'm sorry. i wish i knew more info about it.

all the help i can get is awsome..

craftfetish, you're right -- as long as the yarn is the same guage as the yarn called for in the pattern it should be fine.

aimesk, if there's some kind of wrapper around your yarn or looped through the yarn, it should tell you everything you need to know about the yarn. It will usually have a weight (in ounces or grams) and length (yards or meters) and a suggested needle size and guage. If the weight/guage of your acrylic and the cotton called for in the pattern is the same, you'll have no problems. If they're a bit different, you'll have to play around with needle sizes to match the guage called for in the pattern.

Acrylic yarn sometimes has more "give" than a cotton yarn, meaning that it might stretch a bit. But if you're only using the tops for a few days, it probably won't matter.

k8

Bikini Yarn

I am really interested in knitting or crocheting a bikini. I love the look of it. Is there any type of yarn that can be used to make a bikini that I could actually swim in? Thanks!!

Re: Bikini Yarn

Quote Originally Posted by k8
    I am really interested in knitting or crocheting a bikini. I love the look of it. Is there any type of yarn that can be used to make a bikini that I could actually swim in? Thanks!!
    on Knitty Gritty on DIY, they made bikinis out of Cascade Fixation, which is 98.3% cotton / 1.7% elastic. the guest on the show swore that you could swim in this without it exposing all your parts.

had a store-bought one...

I had a store-bought one that is inspiring me to make my own. What was interesting was that it had a color-coordinating lining and edging that kept it from being see-through. The edging continued past the main areas as the ties around your neck and at each hip.
    Sucks that I don't know what happened to it. It was *really* cute.

Remove Ads

Ads