Thread: bias skirts?

bias skirts?

I am attempting my very first bias skirt - yay for me! I am not the greatest sewer but I really really want to be, so at least I have that going for me. This pattern only has 2 pieces so I figure the only place I can go wrong is in cutting out, right?
    Anyway, does anyone have any tried & true tips for bias sewing? My regular source for sewing help (my mom) only had 2 tips - buy more fabric than the pattern says and make one size bigger.
    Thanks everyone!
    :miss m

2. # ADS

if you're sewing on a machine, try not to stretch the seam as you sew. bias cuts stretch a lot, and if they stretch as you sew, they'll be all bunchy and saggy.

OK, so I made one skirt & it turned out pretty decent.....but it's way too long. I don't know how to hem it because the hemline is curved - isn't it? It looks that way. How do I take off like 3-4 inches without making a mess of it?
    There was something on the pattern itself about making it shorter, but I thought I should try it as printed first.
    I made something wear-able on the first try - this is so thrilling for me!!! :D
    :miss m
    oh regarding the stretching - I bought fabric with some stretch for a second skirt - like a 90/10 blend (or something)- am I in for some trouble?

I recently sewed a collection of bias skirts and got a lot of help from experienced seamstresses in the process. Here are some of their tips:

- Hang it over night before hemming because the weight will "grow" the shape.
    - always put some basting tape in the zipper allowances to keep them stable
    - Iron Diligently and pin for hemming- also hem basting tape works well here.

You should be fine with a stretchy fabric. Just be careful with pulling through the machine!

Good luck!

Could someone pretty please explain this term to me? I have heard it so much lately, and feel like I am on the verge of "getting it" :) but am not quite there... I'm guessing it has something to do with the direction the fabric is woven, cut & sewn together -- is that close?

Bias cut skirt

For your first bias cut skirt I would choose an all-over print. Do not try matching plaids or stripes--a little complicated for your first skirt.

Someone was asking about bias cut? Bias refers to the fact that the skirt is cut diagonally on the fabric--so instead of the threads going straight up and down and across, they are actually in an "x" configuration, giving a little stretch to the skirt. So yes, don't stretch the seams out when you are sewing them. Use a lot of pins.

Miss M, if you want to hem your skirt you need to take a running stitch(gathering stitch) and tighten it up a bit as though you were gathering it.
    Make the hem area small enough so that it will fit cleanly in the area above it after you turn your hem up. I suggest turning it up no more than 1".
    Or
    You can turn 1/4" and press flat then turn another 3/8" press flat again and stitch 1/4" away from the fold line.

I've found that hem markers from a sewing store-- a yardstick on a base that marks your hem with pins--work really well. Need another person to help you.

For the person who wants to shorten their skirt, I would think you could measure to 3 inches (or whatever length you'd like) from the hem all around, mark with pins, press, and trim and turn under as other people are describing.

By way of encouragement, I have hemmed skirts with the hem a tiny bit off and find that it's not that noticeable. (but I use cheap fabrics and easy patterns, dont' want you to ruin something nice!)

Remove Ads

Ads