+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Creative way to divide a studio apt.

So my friend and I have been apartment hunting in NYC and so far mainly studios seem to be in our budget. I was wondering if anyone had some creative ideas for a way to divide up a studio so we could have space to ourselves. I'm looking for something a little more inventive and less tacky than just hanging sheets, but not something that will require too much labor. Thanks!

2. # ADS

~Screens
    ~modular furniture cubes or the like (check out IKEA~ they have a really cool storage system called Broder, and other affordable pieces that could work to divide a space)
    http://www.ikea.com
    ~beaded curtains
    ~fabrics like velvet, sheers, netting, or whatever reflects the mood of your space

Hmmmm...that's all I can think of right now. I always thought it would be fun to carve out living areas in a studio or loft apt.
    Good luck!

Fabric screens would be the way I would do it. They're movebale, and probably the most inexpensive based on your fabric you choose.

I used 6 foot tall industrial shelving (with particle board shelves) to create a work space in my loft. I used the shelves for storage, and staple-gunned shower curtains from the dollar store to the side that faced "out". (Looked better than it sounds, they were funky looking prints.)

you can make long curtains and hang them from poles. either hang the poles from cup hooks in the ceiling (use loops of rope or ribbon that go around the pole and through the hook, since the hook won't hold the pole) or from closet pole hangers on the wall. the closet rod hangers need to be screwed on, so they might not work as well in a rental. plus, if you hang the poles from the ceiling, you can angle them however you want. my mom has a divider of this kind. she used a closet rod (wood about 1.5 inches in diameter) and made the curtains out of sheer red fabric. it looks very nice. you can tie the curtains back, or close them for privacy.

There was a book called portable homes, I can't remember the author, but I saw it at Barnes and Noble. You could look there for some ideas. While I also agree with fabric or screens, you may want to think about things more substancial as well. A larg yurt type tent, for your bed? A mini room made by those sheds you find at home improvement stores this time of year? Of course, it would depend on how large the studio is and how it's divided up. Another idea: take a loft bed, screen off the lower part for changing clothes, an office, etc, and then take some wood or even large pieces of stretched canvas to close off your sleeping space.

my roommate hung bamboo from fishing line (tied onto screw-loops i think) with light-weight fabric hanging from it to make curtains. it looked really nice and moved nicely too.

Check out apartmenttherapy.com for cool ideas on how to deal with small spaces. Especially check out the entries for Smallest Coolest Apartment. Some are done by architects who can tear down and build walls but there's also plenty of renters.

If what you are hanging is pretty light, you could probably hang it from the ceiling using a couple of s hooks and a bit of chain.

If you are looking to divide space visually and aren't worried about complete privacy, you could use colored plexiglass, or corrugated metal sheets, or pre-fab fencing or anything kind of fun looking at the hardware store that works with your sense of style.

If you are good with salvaging things - old shower doors or actual doors or windows would have a lot of potential.

If you have seen High Fidelity, Lisa Bonet's character has salvaged windows hanging from her ceiling to divide her apt. Very cool looking.

for hanging fabric, you could hang hospital track so you have floor to ceiling coverage and move it out of the way easily if you need to:

http://www.shelterrific.com/2006/04/...tain/#more-210

most of ikea's curtains are super long and come with a strip of fusible interfacing so you can iron up the hem to your length. new sewing! ikea has shuttle buses to the stores in nj and long island from port authority.

Ads