+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how about painting on velvet(velvet paintings)

any good advice for making velvet paintings..can't find info on the web anywhere!

2. # ADS

I believe all you'd have to do is stretch some velvet over canvas stretcher bars. The traditional kitschy velvet paintings are done in oil. I have a feeling if you used acrylic or latex it could get kind of crusty looking.

thanks for the info...apparently velvet painting techniques(oil) are kept a huge secret.....oil, how scary.....

I'd be surprised if all the velvet paintings out there are done in oil. Could be: I've never done one, but I have cleaned out attics with some pieces in it. I've never noticed the halo that oil paint leaves on any fabric including canvas.

Plus, a lot of them have some florescense(sp?) to them. Just seems to be more of an acrylic thing.

Try some fabric medium mixed with acrylic paints and dab away.

Some techniques use a mostly dry brush to tip and dot the area being stroked. Generally, I think of broader brush strokes rather than the tiny sable brushes.

I've wondered about many things. One is how to make inherently tacky things not tacky. So can you make a crocheted doll skirt toilet paper holder that's actually beautiful or at least interesting? And can you paint on velvet without calling up the ghost of Elvis?

The best of the tried and tired motif in velvet painting has got to be the wolf on a mountain peak howling at the moon. Sort of the red barn of velvet painting. The appeal of such a piece is that the velvet is more than the canvas. It becomes more a part of the medium. Finding a way to utilize that matte black depth as an integral part of the image seems limited to moonlit nights and black nudes. I could also imagine a city skyline at night with the black space defining the buildings. Come to think of it, my sister had a headboard of a black velvet kitten curled up for her first bed as a child. It was already beat up and in storage by the time I came along.

And I've thought of moss green velvet being the canvas for a sylvan glen with mostly green black brown paints, again utilizing the matte velvet as a strong part of the painting. That one i'd probably include a few very tiny gossamer winged almost 3D fairies with other textural elements to bring more depth.

If you've gotten the idea of playing with white space in your sketches and doodles, you'll probably think of some ways to work the velvet.

thanks for the great reply. I know the trashy aspect of velvet paintings is prominent with some subjects, but I have actually seen beautiful velvet paintings of bullfighters and chicas in array of colors..they are pretty amazing! I wish i could link you to some, but the ones I've seen were when I was in mexico, and also at (authentic) mexican restaurants. again thanks for the reply.

my friend has a velvet painting of Elvis from Mexico that is the best thing ever. why make it NOT trashy when trashy is what it does best?

I've found smaller pieces of velvet paper at art supply stores. It comes in more colors than just black. I've even seen velvet printer paper. I've never painted on velvet, but I love using pastels on velvet.

Back to velevt painting

I was googling about and saw there had been talk about how to paint on velvet some time ago. I do it- my blog is www.fificolston.blogspot.com and you can see them there under the posts ''kina cool'' and ''more velvet.''
    I do tasteful pics of native birds and beetles on velvet- 2d shaped ones, cut outs. The birds are 60cm long beak to tail. I use acrylic paints and an airbrush. Never tried oils- can''t wait for them to dry!

I loved your Tasman Ladybird beetle.

Airbrushing seems to be the best method. The way the nap accepts the paint gives greater depth to your subjects. A light burst is like stippling for a shaded effect.

Also noted the green velvet echinoderm. Interesting to use velvet for such a spiny thing, eh? Very nice.

Ads