Writing Letters -- Any Ideas?

My Fiancee has gone away to basic training and AIT (advanced indivdual training) for the army. I'm allowed to send him mail everyday. So far it's been a month and the only thing I can come up with is a card or two and a basic letter. Any ideas on how to make the letters more interesting? Or any crafts I can send him?
    Chelsea

2. # ADS

There is really cool handmade paper that you could write letters on. A good local craft store might carry it, or you could try a scrapbooking store. A good place to start looking online is Handmade Paper, but I'm sure other crafters around here have other suggestions.

As far as interesting crafts...well, my ideas might be borderline cheesy, but...you could make a small book (there are bookbinding tutorials all over the internet) and write a story in it that has significance for the two of you. Or you could collect pictures and letters from his friends and bind it all into a bigger book.

My boyfriend goes out of town for work alot. I like having something cute for him when he comes home. I think his favorite things are little paper (or you could use another material) cards I make him. I go through magazines and cut out cute little pictures and glue them on and use markers, pens, pencils to draw and write. I never write too much, I put more time into the actual project than the words inside. He likes the fact that I take time to make him something like that, just to say "I love you". Hope thats a good idea for you.

When I was at summercamp, I had a best friend/pen pal who I would write constantly. It became essentially a journal that I would stop every few days and send away in pieces. Just be sure that he brings it back if you want to keep it!

I wonder if he's still got my letters, I've still got his back at my mom's house.

You could try to find those pop-up cards that lie flat in the envelope and then open up to 3-d flowers and other shapes. I think you can usually find them in specialty card shops.

What about making the envelopes more interesting? I hate to sound like a broken record (cos I just posted about this on 2 other threads LOL) but I take old calendars and use the pages to make my own awesome envelopes. For example if he's into muscle cars, envelopes made from a calendar with cool photos of 'Vettes and Ferraris might be just the thing! If you don't have any old calendars lying around try dollar stores of even your local freecycle.org group!

I had an artist boyfriend in college who did beautiful envelopes, too. The letters were wonderful (after 25+ years I still cherish them) and the envelopes made them into little artworks.

I've been exchanging letters with my grandfather for more than 15 years now. I also have pen pals and my boyfriend is also miles away from me.

To make letters interesting, you can start writing about how you're feeling right at that instant or describing what you're seeing exactly. Sometimes, it is better to write down the time and you can even just get back to writing after having a break. Or you can even try grabbing a pen anytime there's is something in your head that you want to share with your boyfriend. Think of it as something similar to blogging.

Whenever I write my letters, I imagine that the person I'm writing to is just right in front of me and listening to my stories. I'm sure your boyfriend will be glad to hear from you even if not everything really makes sense. What's important is that you are able to express yourself to him despite the distance. He'll feel like having a normal conversation with you whenever he's reading your letters, though it will just take some time before his reply reaches you.

Remove Ads

Ads