cotton fabric for tees

Hello Crafty People,

I want to create a tee shirt line a la urban outfitters graphics. I'm a graphic designer with no clue how to purchase nice cotton good quality fabric. I keep researching, but i get all this thick cotton with patterns. I want something white, creme color, off white. A simple 100 cotton fabric or organic cotton. Do you kow where i could purchase this material?

Do you recommend a place where to buy a sewing machine at a low price?

thanks so much. I

2. # ADS

moving this to 'share a craft' so this matter will get the attention of those in the know.

cheers!

you can get both those things at Jo-Ann, but if you want to sew t-shirts, you're better off with a serger than a sewing machine.

Viviana, how much do you want to purchase? I seem to remember that there's a national cotton board or something like that. I know there's an office here in Los Angeles with samples of cotton fabrics available to the clothing industry. There just may be the same deal in Chicago. I think you have a large minimum to purchase, however.

thank you guys

thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I'm looking to buy a lot fabric. I was looking for wholesale cotton fabric. I want to design some proto-types. I don't know if i should do it myself or hire someone to cut and sew my tee idea. I was thinking of placing an ad here. I want to give it a try myself. I keep searching online for cotton fabric wholesale, and i get these far places abroad, which i'm not that sure.

I'm a newbie on buying a sewing machine. I was playing around with my aunts and she gave me a quicky demo. I'm was like, hmm, i think i could do this.

"you can get both those things at Jo-Ann, but if you want to sew t-shirts, you're better off with a serger than a sewing machine." Stella

You know where is the best place to buy a serger? Why a Serger? sorry for all these ques. thanks so much

tata.

viviana - for your last two questions... if you look inside the seams of commercially produced t-shirts, you'll see the kind of seam a serger can make. its stable, it doesn't easily come apart, and it prevents all sorts of weird stretching that cotton tends to do. some sergers can cut off the seam allowance as you serge, so it can quickly create a finished garment (but be careful with this as there isn't much room for error when its cutting). you can get sergers any place you find nice sewing machines like joann.

Vivian - there is a fabric and trim show in Chicago a few times a year. Last time I went there were a couple of vendors with wonderful soft cotton knits. Big minimum orders, but exactly what you are looking for. You might try calling the Illinois Apparel Industry Board to see if they can give you one of the vendor guides from the last show. They also have a book with local sewing contractors, etc. if you want to go into production.

the only online sources I have found are very expensive for good knit cottons. they are geared to the retail customer.

good luck!

Remove Ads

Ads