Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Describe your craft area

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Domestic Bliss forum. Anyway, any of you care to describe your crafty workspace? I am looking to set up a sewing/craft area in my house and I"m kind of at a loss. Our house is a decent size but it's old and the rooms are tiny leaving me with very little space to set up a good area. The hus works at home so has to use the guest room as his home office. I guess I'm just looking for inspiration on how to make the most of a small space and how to make a crafty space look attractive enough to have "out in the open".

Thanks!
    S.

2. # ADS

I dont have a craft space, per say, as much as I wish I did. I keep all my craft supplies in two dresser drawers and in one large trunk. It requires constant weeding to make it work, but I love my crafts. I'm thinking about getting a large pantry type shelving unit instead, and placing that in the dining room.

my husband and i live in a two bedroom apartment, it is just the two of us, a cat, and a hampster. so we transformed the second bedroom into our crafting/art room. My husband bought me a large used desk which is filled with crafting supplies. it is facing one wall and the other half of the room is his. we have a huge closet that holds my sewing machine (along with camping gear) Its funny we were at a friends house the other day and the husband was talking about his "man" basement. Then my husband said that he wished he had a space of his own, i told him he did, in the second bedroom which was half his, he then looked at me and said its YOUR CRAFT ROOM, ALL I HAVE IN IT IS A ROCK! (he has been busy and unable to do any sculpting lately) lol i guess it is my room then

I live in a one-bedroom apartment with my husband and a cat. It's way too small for our needs, but we're makin' do. On to my craft area:

Our bedroom, which hosts a large loft bed, has lots of storage underneath. I probably store 2-3 large storage bins under there, plus some other larger items.

Next to the loft, I've a HUGE metal desk which is specifically for my crafting. I've two lamps, plus some small open bins, and my sewing machine on the desk surface. Inside, I store trim, sewing patterns, collage materials, and boxes to decoupage. It honestly awes me what I can make disappear into this desk's drawers.

Finally, I have a large wooden shelving unit in the corner that holds my various tool boxes (one for sewing and another for thread, one for embroidery/kumihimo, and one for beading), my craft- and creativity-related books, and my fabric.

Oh, and I also have a long, thing storage bin under my desk for clothing that needs repairs, something I let pile up way too much.

I only reasonably need a bit more space, but what I would really love isn't so much more space as dedicated space. A room even half the size as my bedroom, but that I could decorate just to be inspirational and joyous...that I lust after!

sadly, i do most of my crafting sitting in bed. i don't have a craft area in my current house (i have an unpleasant-ish roommate situation going on) and my desk is either being used for school work of piled high with school stuff.

i mostly knit, so sitting in bed isn't that bad, but it's not the best for my posture. i'm learning to make silver jewelry and i do that at my school's craft center since they have the whole setup and i can't exactly crack out an acetylene torch in my bedroom.

My crafting area is rather pathetic at the moment. I work in my attic, which doesn't have any actual walls. I have to stare at the insulation, covered w/ plastic sheeting. Oh joy.
    Not terribly inspiring!
    But, when my folks get back from their trip, my dad is going to help me put up some actual walls, covering up that ugly insulation. I'm so excited!
    I also have 2 storage cabinets, moved up from my 1st floor, to reorganize all my sewing and crafts stuff. I've been weeding out stuff I don't use, and was able to put all my fabrics in general categories before placing them on the cabinet shelves.

I live in a two-bedroom apartment, and my daughter Miriam occupies the larger room, so all my crafts are in my bedroom. Which is okay, because I have a loft bed with a large desk underneath. Half the desk is my sewing area where my machine lives, and the other half is my computer and printer's home. There's a three-drawer filing cabinet underneath that holds nothing but my cross-stitch patterns. My duct tape, sewing supplies and notions, beads, and cross-stitch supplies live in the other corner of the room on the two top shelves of a large shelving unit, which also holds most of my DVD's, and the two bottom shelves are my tarantularium, where all my eight-leggedy ladies live. They like the shade down there. I get a lot of living and crafting done in that little room!

My one-bedroom apartment does not have alot of storage space so I am currently using the breakfast nook as storage for boxes of fabric, toilet paper, cartons of soda, and the like. I have been trying to clear some things out so that i acn use the breakfast nook(like a large restaurant booth with a couple of kitchen cabinets hung on the back wall) as a craft studio. There is a light fixture, electrical outlets and even a small window in there. I have managed to hang a bulletin board on the one wall and make a cute valance for the window, but I can not get it cleared out enough to actually craft in there. But that'ss my dream. I actually craft at my kitchen table which had worked out quite well as I live alone and usually eat my meals on a tray in the living room. I have a big sunny window behind the table, lots of outlets to plug tools into, the 'fridge near by for cold drinks and a little radio/cd player so I can listen to music or audio books while I stitch or bead. And I store my supplies every where in the apartment--under the bed, in the closet, a stack of wicker trunks in the bedroom, and in that disaster of a breakfast nook. Don't worry--if you really want to craft you will always find a way and room to do it.

My husband and I also live in a small one bedroom apartment. Just off the bathroom, we have an open linen closet with shelving that we turned into an office/craft area. We left the upper three shelves intact, and that's where I store my craft books, speciality papers and binders. I also have some photo boxes and clear shoe boxes on the shelves that hold general craft supplies. My husband made a great desk to replace the lowest shelf. He sawed out a small hole in the back so we can thread the computer and lamp cords down to the power switch, which is plugged into the outlet around the corner. He also sawed out a contour in the front of the desk so that we can push a chair all the way in without it sticking out into the hall. It's really functional and holds most of my supplies and our office stuff. To hold my sewing supplies, I have a small 3-drawer dresser in front of the living room window stuffed full, and I use the top of the dresser to hold a planter of kitchen herbs. The top drawer is devoted to gardening supplies. It's not my ideal crafting setup, but for the space we have, it's funcational, and when we're diligent about keeping things put away and organized, it doesn't look cluttered or detract from the look of the apartment as a whole.

We don't have room either. We did have a second bedroom, but by the time I actually had so much stuff I needed a craft area, it was already taken over by my husband. Now we're having a baby in a couple of months so it's now the baby's room.

So what I did was buy a black desk from Target - luckily it was on clearance too! It took me forever to find a plain desk w/out all kinds of drawers and w/out computer shelves. The one I ended up with I THOUGHT had a little drawer for pencils/etc, but it's actually a keyboard drawer. But all I had to do was put in a few shallow organizers and it holds everything fine.

There's three empty spaghetti sauce jars to hold my beads, a magazine holder and a little desk organizer drawer thing to hold small stuff. Since the picture, I've also added one of those plastic rolling drawer things from Target along with the two crates (which are now stacked) to hold big stuff.

There's a lot of room on the walls, and I plan on buying black shelves someday...

http://static.flickr.com/38/92309551_5bede589f8.jpg?v=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads