Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want some coloured pencils.

Any recommendations? I just want to dabble about a bit.

2. # ADS

Crayola. you can get a big box for a few bucks, and they work fine for me. the ones that are a few bucks each are nice, but i'm not good enough with pencils to be able to tell the difference!

Ahh. The voice of good sense.

when it comes to cheap colored pencils, i find that the type that can be used as watercolor paint work best, as they are not as hard as most. that's the only kind of cheap colored pencils i'll use, or that my four year old artist son is willing to use for that matter.

personally, i think that the best are prismacolor or conte. they are a bit of an investment, but i have had wonderful results with my prismacolors. i've had my set for many years and the nice thing about it is that they sell the pencils individually, which is great in case you need to replace any colors.

i'm with stella. go find something mega cheap like crayola if you are just doing general coloring/drawing on paper.

i have some prismacolor (which are really nice), used for making an art doll. now i just color with them and i've found that i actually like the hardness of cheapo colored pencils for that task.

Quote Originally Posted by smachel
    i have some prismacolor (which are really nice), used for making an art doll. now i just color with them and i've found that i actually like the hardness of cheapo colored pencils for that task.
    That's interesting. I think I might buy a cheaper set and a few individual expensive ones to get a feel for what I like (and how much I actually use them). If I buy them one by one I'll get to make lots of trips to the art shop and have an excuse to wander around a lot while I'm there too. :-)

Pudding, I just bought a tin of 40 coloured pencils for $2.99 at my local Lincraft. They were on display on the counter, and they seem nice enough (the brand is Scribblers).

My favorite brand is Pentel, they blend amazingly well and come in a great color selection. They aren't very cheap though so I'd say to go with the cheaper ones until you're ready to invest. Trust me though, Pentel is well worth the money!

you probably don't want to go this cheap...but my local Target has a 12-pack of Roseart colored pencils for around 50c as a back-to-school promotion.

Oh, god, Roseart coloured pencils...I got some for Christmas a couple of years ago...just no. They're so faint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads