Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

photo negatives- what to do?

I was going through some of my old boxes and found a ton of old negatives that I had when I was in high school. I wanted to possibly make a window covering out of them. Has anyone done this before? I thought I could hook them together with tiny tiny rings but I have A LOT of them so then i thought maybe cutting stripes of duct tape in half length wise and just taping them together. Do you think it should work? I would hate to ruin them.

Any ideas or advice woulld be wonderful!

2. # ADS

I definitely wouldn't use duct tape. I think you want to still be able to see through the negatives when you are done.

You could look into clear types of tape. I'm not sure what they use to splice filmstrip together, but I would think this is the same sort of application.

I like the rings idea. Something small that could hook through the little holes in the edges and give it some movement.

I think this sounds cute. All of your old memories brightening up on a sunny day.

(I don't know a lot about negatives - I might not do this with negatives you are likely to want to print from again)

ooh. i really like the little ring idea!

i saw this idea in an old ready made except it was a lamp shade and they also used the little rings oh, and it was slide film negitives, my friend made it and it turned out awesome.

Where can I find those jump rings? I bought some from I think WalMart and they are hell to open, I tried and ended up ruining one edge of a negative.

I was thinking clear tape maybe- I would just tape together the edges so I could still see through the actual negatives themselves. As for the negatives they're just old stuff I did in my photo class in high school. Nothing I would really want to keep in super excellent condition.

What about using the small jump rings that are for jewelry... They would be small enough to go through your negative holes, you could even connect a few together if you wanted more spacing between strips. You can usually find them in the jewelry/craft section at Walmart or any craft store. You will probably have to use small needle nose pliers w/ them, but they seem like they would be a better size than the big jump rings.
    Oh yeah, and post pics when you complete it!! Sounds like a very cool idea!

i've made several lampshades with filmstrips and they are basically the same as negatives--sprockets on the side--but a positive image. i whipstitch mine together on the edges with a needle and thread. it doesn't take much time when you get into it and it's less expensive and much less tedious than using jumprings, though certainly a different look.

hi! i just wanted to add a few thoughts...

if you're considering ever making reprints of your photos, you shouldn't use the negatives. the emulsion on the negatives is very sensitive: light will damage or bleach them, and heat will warp them (they tend to curl), they are also easily scratched.

personally, i think the whipstitching or jumprings would be your best bet.

however, having the positive film or slides made would probably be the best idea yet... a friend and i made curtains of a case of slides (like readymade) over ten years ago, and they still look good!

I remember on craftster someone made a candle holder type thing out of old film negatives. The negatives formed a box shape and then they put a tealight in the centre. The glow from the candle cast the shadows from the film negatives and it looked really cool. You would just have to make sure the flame wasn't too close to the negatives to warp them or something.

I like the idea of sewing them together - you could even use clear thread if you didn't want the thread to show.

I loved the slide lampshade idea and want to make one of those someday!

PS Slides are actually positives, not negatives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads