+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crafting on the plane

I'm going on vacation in a few days and I was wondering if thee was any craft things I could do on the plane.

I know sissors and kintting needles/crochet hooks are banned for carry-on items.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?!

2. # ADS

i'd say bring some crocheting. i'm pretty sure you can bring crochet hooks now. the big chunky plastic ones surely aren't prohibited. worst case scenario, you have to toss a hook at security. just have a book along with you in case!

I've heard that you can and can't bring knitting/crochet. I'm trying to find a website with rules but I can't find anything. Do you know the website for TSA or FAA (I think that's it)?

Here's a link to the Transporation Security Administration regarding knitting needles / crochet hooks: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

As long as nothing has changed since thye last time I was on a plane, they are allowed. Although if you are travelling to another country you may have some problems with customs. When I was coming back from Belgium last year the lady looked at my knitting needles (which had nothing on them because I had messed up my project and needed to start over) and had to check to see if they were allowed. It took about 5 minutes for her to find out, but I was allowed on with them and everything was fine.

I've heard that the yarn cutter pendants (with the blade that's encased inside the pendant) are NOT allowed on. Scissors are, as well as nail clippers, which can be used in a pinch (pun intended).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Another question: I was also thinking I could embroider (sp?) on the plane and I'm planning on bringing small blunt sissors but I remember last time I flew there were many signs at the airport about no sissors allowed, so just in case I was wondering if there are any other alternatives to sissors other than nail clippers (I'm afraid they might not cut the thread very well or will mangle up the thread) ?

I can't think of anything that you could use instead of scissors or nail clippers. I think on the TSA website it said that blunt tip scissors were acceptable. Maybe you can call the airline that you're flying on and ask someone directly?

a thread cutter. you can get them in the knitting and embroidery section at craft stores. it's a circle of plastic or metal that has a circular blade inside of it, with small notches that you can pull the thread into. it's impossible to cut yourself or someone else with them, and i am pretty sure they are OK on planes, but you might want to check first.

my dad flies frequently in the US for work, and he has brought his knitting with him (on bamboo or wooden needles) and not had any problems, but he did say that straight needles tend to cause more raised eyebrows than circulars or DPs. not that a business-dude knitting a baby sweater doesn't raise enough eyebrows.

on TSA's website, it said that those thread cutters with the blade on the inside are NOT allowed, even though it's impossible to open them up and cut yourself.

rats, i thought for sure those were okay.

i asked by dad, and he said nail clippers and small scissors were on the "okay" list at the NTSB site, but he has talked to people on planes who have had little scissors and nail clippers taken away. also, he said aluminum needles tend to get taken, but wood and plastic are usually ignored.

I fly a LOT (6x/year or more), I always bring knitting, and I've not ever had a problem getting any knitting needles taken away from me on a plane, not since 2002. (Fall 2001 I lost a crochet hook to the TSA guidelines, but that's understandable.) Not even big aluminum needles have been a problem for me.

The one problem I have when flying with knitting is that people feel entitled to come up and talk to me (um, hello, I am not someone looking to meet a new best friend on the seat next to me!), but that's just a general hazard of knitting in public.

Ads