Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help needed by Beginner Knitter - with 6 balls of yarn

I learned to knit this winter... so far I have made everyone I know a scarf. Each time I get just a little bit better. I still have not learned how to pearl... This past weekend I went into a yarn store and allowed the lady to talk me into buying six balls of relatively fancy yarn for $60 and I was given instructions on how to make a blanket. (the thought of making another scarf nearly drove me batty)

Anyhow...for the life of me I can't follow the directions (a lot of stuff about casting on and off extra stickes) - anyhow... I really would appreciate some very simple instructions on how to turn my $60 investment into a blanket.

I own size 11 and 13 needles - must I buy circular needles to make a blanket?

The yarn seems a bit unusual - it is thin, but has lots of knobby stuff... it is made by Trendsetter Yarns, called "zucca" and the label says 50 gf/1.75 oz ca = 71 yards 3.5 sts = 1" # 10 needle.

Help please... totally confused in New York City -

2. # ADS

i would really need to see the pattern to help you at all. all i can imagine is that with only 6 balls of yarn, it must have a very open stitch pattern to make a whole blanket.

could you please be more specific?

I've found the videos from <a>knittinghelp.com</a> helpful.

I think this advice is easier to get IRL than over the web, though. Do you know any more-experienced knitters who you could hit up for occasional help?

if you are going to make a blanket (what size? adult or baby?), you will need to buy circular needles. something that big won't fit on straight needles even if 14" long. you will be a lot happier using 29" or more (40"?) circs for a blanket.

as to the instructions, can you tell us what specific instructions you don't understand?

what yarn shop in ny did you buy it from? i might be able to give you a suggestion for getting IRL help.

Before I learned to purl, I made 3/4 of a garter stitch blanket using straight needles.

I didn't have a pattern (as it was garter stitch) I just changed yarn color every now and again to make stripes. I cast on an many stitches as I could squoosh onto the needles and that was the width.

It came out to be fairly wide - in the neighborhood of 5 feet, but it was agonizingly slow because (a) it was garter stitch and really boring to knit and (b) I was constantly smooshing and smashing the yarn to try and get it down on the needles.

So, technically, it could be done. But it was miserably heavy and I would have to take a break every row or so to let my wrists recover.

(It also wasn't very interesting to look at - hence the never finishing it)

Since you seem to enjoy knitting (to have made it through so many scarves) and you have already made a sizable investment into making this a nice blanket, definitely spend $6 more and get a pair of circular needles.

(Two projects from now, you'll be hooked and buying $30 pairs of circs, but the basic variety should suffice for now)

The videos sallysunshine recommended are very helpful. You may also want to get a beginner instructional book from your local library.

If there are specific increases or decreases in your pattern giving you trouble, let us know what they are. We may be able to offer some more tips. Although if athena can hook you up with a real live person that may be easiest until you get the feel for it.

Good luck!

Y'know, if knitting another scarf would make you batty, a blanket may send you over the edge.

The Yarn Harlot's book "Knit Rules!" has some ideas on how to make things other than scarves (like hats!). In addition to the resources listed, Crazy Aunt Purl has some great tutorials on things like basic hats (no purling necessary!). You may also be able to find a SNB group or reasonably priced lessons to help you learn how to purl and give you ideas on other projects you could do with the yarn.

I don't like that you felt pressured into buying $60 worth of yarn - if you aren't comfortable with taking it back and getting a refund or exchanging for something else, you could swap it or sell it on eBay.

Do most people learn to knit way before they learned to purl? I learned to do them both at the same time. I recommend learning how to purl, because I wonder if it's really the scarfness of the scarves that's bothering you, rather than the fact that doing exactly the same thing over and over again gets boring.

I'm currently working on a blanket that is knit in smallish individual squares. (Each square is 21 stitches and 34 rows, I think.) At the end of it, I'll sew all the squares together. It's a nice project because when I'm bored I can take a break, work on something else, and go back to it. Also, the squares are pretty portable, and knitting something huge on circular needles seems a bit daunting to me right now. Having said that, I'm using a lot more than six balls of yarn, and it's a major investment of both time and money. I've completed about 20 of 81 squares. I'm going to be working on this one for a while.

i don't know why people see purling as this big scary challenge. it's the exact same thing as knitting, you just poke the needle through the stitch at a different angle. whoop de doo.

anyways, i don't think this person is going to be back... hopefully she will get help somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i don't know why people see purling as this big scary challenge. it's the exact same thing as knitting, you just poke the needle through the stitch at a different angle. whoop de doo.

anyways, i don't think this person is going to be back... hopefully she will get help somewhere.
    I think, for me, the problem with learning to purl is that it really is just poking the needle through the stitch at a different angle. Everyone seems to talk about how learning to purl is tricky so when I learned how to do it I had myself convinced that I didn't really learn because it was so easy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads