Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    Can someone explain the popularity of knitting socks? Lots of people seem to knit them, and it always seems to me like a huge amount of effort to make a garment that will wear out pretty quickly. Are they really fun to knit? Because if so, I will ignore utility and try it.
    They are amazingly fun to knit, I can knit a pair in an evening which is good. Also you don't need a pattern for socks once you figure out how to just knit them (make a tube, make a flap from half the tube, reduce the flap to one half the stitches, pick up stitches down one side of the flap, knit stitches, pick up stitches on the other side of the flap, reduce the new tube until it matches the first tube, knit for a while, then reduce the tube for a toe, graft-- voila! A sock.) so you can make them on the go without dragging around a pattern.

If you remember to not wear them without slippers on carpet they last a very long time. I used to avoid wearing mine with boots, but now I have more knit socks than store bought and gave up on being so careful, they are just fine.

Just watch how you wash them, some yarns can't take a cycle in the washer and dryer but some actually benefit from a little bit of abuse after being worn for a while.

2. # ADS

Wearing a handknitted sock fits soooooo good I hate wearing store bought now!

Quote Originally Posted by april again
    Wearing a handknitted sock fits soooooo good I hate wearing store bought now!
    Amen!

i have a pattern for a toe-up sock that knits the toes and heels separately.

what i mean is that you make a little square for the toes, then bind off, then pick up stitches and start knitting the tube of the sock. when you get to the point where the heel is supposed to be, and you put in a junk yarn line to keep the stitches live there. keep knitting the "tube" until you get the lenghth you want. THEN, you go back to the junk yarn, take it out, picke up stitches and then knit in the heel.

what's great about this method is that when the toe or heel wears out, you can take them apart and knit in a new toe or heel. and you can use different colored yarn for the toe/heel and make a really cool looking sock.

now, i have never actually finished this sock, but it's the pattern my knitting teacher gave me. and she learned it from another knitting teacher. if anyone's interested, i can find out where you can get it.

I would be interested please!

Quote Originally Posted by april again
    I would be interested please!
    ok, i have to dig it up. i can't post it because of copyright issues, but i can find where you can get it. is that ok?

Welcome Newbie Knitter.

I love knitting. It's so relaxing once you get past the stress one puts on themself to knit something perfect.

My motto: if you can't see the errors as you ride by on a horse...there is no error!

2nd motto: if you gift someone with a crafted present and they says 'hey, this is wrong' take it back!! they don't deserve it!!

hahaha

so i am both a knitter and a crocheter. For a time i would knit scarves and crochet hats. at first knitting was hard for me as it was 2 needles instead of 1. but as you grow used to it, you will soon find you prefer one craft over the other.

Also, you have to find fiber you LOVE. don't be afraid to go into the yarn store and feel the yarn, do the cheek or neck test. feel how the yarn feels against your skin. i find that i prefer using 'good' yarn with my knitting as you can show off the fiber better.

did you know that knitting uses less yarn than crocheting?? yep. so don't be afraid. I would advise taking a class or better yet got to www.meetup.com and see if there is a group that meets in your neighborhood.

Good luck and have tons of FUN!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads